having a knife with you all the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InGearX

Registered
Reaction score
hmm what do you think are the

positives?

negatives?

bottom line?

We traveling as backpackers - me and my gf..
we love nature .. and often camp ..

I always try to have a knife in my backpack for various things .. from cutting fruits .. to protection..

I was thinking of having a knife on me all the time ..

what do you think?

what advice could you give?

thank you .. 14388488006991.jpg14388488291152.jpg

I wear a leatherman all day.
I just have to remind myself to leave it at home when going to the stadium or airport where these items are forbidden.

always have, an likely would continue, except I now frequent areas that have in place rules (and detection methods) that prohibit. I feel somewhat "naked" as it has been a part of me for so long.... It is just a tool, with a multitude of important uses. As to the "protection", lets be real.... unless you are trained in specific skills/methods, its honestly of little value.

As a side bar, for self defense, I always said i wanted to carry the biggest Swiss Army contraption they made. The one with the most stuff in it. Idea is, open everything, and throw it...:D

For as long as I can remember, I have carried a pocket knife on a daily basis. My current knife of choice is a Kershaw 1830. It is inexpensive ($20), clips to my pocket for easy access, I can open it with one hand, it holds a good edge. What's not to like?

I always carry a pocket knife. Nothing of an unreasonable size, relatively small daily (3" blade) to tiny (1.75" blade) when I'm wearing a suit. They all have blades that lock in place. I once had a knife blade close on my finger and I didn't like it. All are razor sharp.

When outdoors I always have a fixed blade knife. Nothing huge but tough and sharp. For protection in the woods I would opt for a sturdy branch of solid wood. My walking stick, in fact, could do some serious damage. lol

Always have a knife of some sort...

Jim..

I always have a pocket knife of some sort. I used to wear a belt knife everywhere, too - into airports, onto planes boarding in Texas (had to pack it returning), into bars, etc. Times changed, so the belt knives only go out on the farm or hikes. I have a nice collection of both.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Bring a knife to a gun fight, but also bring at least one gun.

I am pro knife, though you should never mention protection in the same breath as the knife...makes people with badges grouchy, even if the knife is otherwise legal in size and features. I like my knives discrete in size and design, and made by a drunk hog in Ohio.
IMG_1543.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom