having a knife with you all the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP,

Check out the knife laws in the country/countries you intend to visit - ie the type of knife, its size and its purpose may be regulated in some way.

This is a good point above. I did some consulting last year on knife designs due to my day job. One of the avenues we had to look at was size. In some countries size matters a lot. I'd have to look up the research I did but in Korea for example any blade over so many cm, it wasn't a lot, requires the owner to get a sword permit! England has some very tough knife laws as well. Since guns are pretty much outlawed many crooks go for the "personal touch" a knife offers.

In the UK it's worse than that. You must have a reasonable immediate use for any knife on your person and there's an immense amount of latitude given to the police. So if you are an electrician and on your way to work, your multi-tool might be fine. If it's the weekend and you are at the park but you still have it? Maybe, maybe not. Stopped off for a few at your local? Clearly you don't need a multi tool in a bar! So you might be really screwed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I carry my benchmade everyday.

In each car I have trauma shears and or strap cutters. as well as basic trauma kit (tourniquets, bandages for severe trauma etc)

At school knives are banned, like every other "weapon".

I still carry my pocket knife.

I got told to leave a VA hospital is west palm for my pocket knife one day. Made me laugh in the face of the "security guard".

Now when I go I just clip it inside my waistband or drop it in the bottom of my pocket.

#sucharebel

I carry a Spyderco Paramilitary every day. It is a very useful tool. When I fly I tuck it in my checked bag and transfer it to my pocket after baggage claim.

I like the 1st one but I don't see an adjustable wrench..

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 05:04 PM ----------

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
I always bring my knife... but I also bring my 9mm. And sometimes my 22 as well. I get far more use out of my knife tho.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I like knives. I carry a folding knife most of the time.

But a knife for me is a tool, nothing more, used to cut or open inanimate objects only. I harbor absolutely zero "mall ninja" fantasies about ever using it to defend myself or others from an attacker with it. I mean, really.

It is a tool.

If you plan to travel with a knife, as already mentioned, do carefully check all laws and regulations for the areas you plan to travel to.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom