Havin a hard time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can do it,don't give up.i had problems with my dives also,but i saw it thru to the end.i passed my class.i had a big fear to over come, i'm clostaphoic.it's real hard for about a minute when i first get under but after that it's ok.so don't give up and don't let the instructor bulley you.just take it slow and at your own pace.don't worry about anybody but yourself.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Who you diving with in Belize?

Look forward to meeting you on BlackBeards in December. Guess you'll be an ol' salt by then... :D

I'm doing my OW certs with Frenchies on Caye Caulker. Then, not sure who with in Placencia. Then, back to Frenchies for the last week.

Yea, Blackbeards will be fun!! Eeek, that reminds me, gotta make a hotel reservation. Did u make one yet??

You are soooo right.

The instructor sounds like he had other things on his mind. That's bad, coz as soon as the instructor loses interest in teaching, he's putting everyone else in danger.
I really enjoy teaching. Yes, I will admit at times there are students who try my patience, but it normally comes sown to them not listening to the briefs or watching other divers around the pool while i may be demonstrating etc.

But i guarantee you one definite thing. One week - your CW dive might go great- the next, it could be the most depressing day of your life because you cant get anything right, but everybody else can.

Thats just Scuba for ya :wink:

When i started diving, the first week for me was great!! but the second? you honestly reckon I could get that Fin Pivot??? HA!! NO CHANCE!

Anyhoo keep going, taking your time with the skills. Don't forget, when u certify- u can probably still go back to the pool with your school, rent some gear and practice your skills in a safe environment!!

Enjoy and let us know how you go :D

We're here, cheering you on...

This thread is GREAT! It helps me realize that I'm not the only one that has problems. My problem was the other night in CW2 trying to inflate my BC orally, and I got a nasty leg cramp...the reg was out of my mouth and I was drinking as opposed to breathing and this little light went on..."stick the reg in your mouth and BREATH you moron" so I did, I eased the cramp (with the help of the instructor) and went on...a little later, it was switch snorkel for reg time, and I was a little too negative, so when I swapped for the snorkel, it was like drinking out of a big straw...my brain panics, but my little light came back on and said; ..."stick the reg in your mouth and BREATH you moron" and it worked!

I was very apprehensive, and had 2nd thoughts the minute after I signed the papers and my credit card receipt to take the classes, but a few days ago, I was in the Keys for a short vacation and took a "resort" course and did 2 reef dives...NOW I'm even more determined! (and would suggest the same thing to anyone that's having 2nd thoughts.)

It's a learning process, it's a continous learning process, and there are a lot of people (I'm finding) that are willing to help..for me it's having great instructors...3 more classes and it's off to the quarry for me!

Just got back from vacation. My husband and I spent the whole thing doing our OW cert. It all seemed to come so naturally to him, and I was there lagging behind, the proverbial problem child. :wink:

I was getting very discouraged, and actually bagged our last dive because I was afraid that I would mess up again. Like a lot of the people here, my problem was mask flooding and removal. It's good to know that this is a normal beginner issue. I think that I'm going to get in contact with a local dive shop and see if I can sign up for some private lessons at a local pool. Hopefully, the more time I spend underwater, the more comfortable I'll become.

Tiggrr, I am very glad that things are working out for you. As Ber Rabbit posted (and she would know she was one of my instructors) it isn't always the easiest thing to do. I did a lot of practicing outside of the pool sessions....primarly in the bath tub and in my hot tub at home. Eventually I got to the point where I didn't want to bolt to the surface, I had air I was ok.
I think the secret to mask clearing and no mask work for me was to realise that just because you have no mask on doesn't mean that you have to have your eyes open all of the time, just enough to see where you are going and what you are doing. That ended up being the way that I worked through most of the no mask work, I blinked a lot. Once you find something that woks for you keep with it. Out of curiosity, what was the secret for you being able to get through the no mask work?

FyrFytr:
Tiggrr, I am very glad that things are working out for you. As Ber Rabbit posted (and she would know she was one of my instructors) it isn't always the easiest thing to do. I did a lot of practicing outside of the pool sessions....primarly in the bath tub and in my hot tub at home. Eventually I got to the point where I didn't want to bolt to the surface, I had air I was ok.
I think the secret to mask clearing and no mask work for me was to realise that just because you have no mask on doesn't mean that you have to have your eyes open all of the time, just enough to see where you are going and what you are doing. That ended up being the way that I worked through most of the no mask work, I blinked a lot. Once you find something that woks for you keep with it. Out of curiosity, what was the secret for you being able to get through the no mask work?

Well, first of all, I haven't been to a class since that fiasco. My next class is this Thursday with a different instructor. *One of the suggestions on here was to breath like sucking a straw. That really helped. Before that day, I had never had my face in the water without plugging my nose with my fingers. :) I have been spending time with my boss in her pool with my snorkel and no mask. To be quite blunt......all I needed was a little time with no "jerk off stressing me out and treating me like the class dunce." I can now swim from one end of the pool and back with just my snorkel. However, (heehee) I haven't quite started to try opening my eyes yet. I am guiding with my hands. And yea, have to talk myself thru it at times but, overall......its coming together. Ok, I have to try and be positive about the bad instructor thing. We all learn from mistakes and it is not quite as scary having had that panic already. I am thinking alot more instead of reacting.

Thats a great suggestion about practicing in ur bathtub!!! What a funny way to end the day!! Snorkeling in the bathtub. I have a 22lb cat who likes to hang out on the ledge of the tub when I bathe. If he didn't think I was looney before........why does she have pink fins on in the tub?? J/K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom