Havin a hard time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had some problems the first couple of confined water dives....Mostly I didn't like to breath without my mask on! So each time we were given a 'swim around time' I went to the deep end, kneeled down and thought through every last step of each mask exercise. As soon as I had it straight in my head, I partiallly flooded it and then cleared it. I repeated it until I was comfortable, then I fully flooded it and cleared it until I was comfortable. Then I took the mask off and put it back on until I was comfortable. One thing that I think gets 'lost in the sauce' is that all of these basic skills are just that...skills. The only way to get good at a skill is to practice it, and learn it until it is second nature, then it will become a habit. BUT you must proceed at your own pace.

The reason I went to the deep end of the pool? So I couldn't just bolt to the surface, and I very nearly did a couple of times. It gave me the extra half second delay to tell myself to breath through my mouth and I had plenty of air. I did it and you can to, as long as you want to and never give up!

Another tip that may help is to go ahead and totally flood your mask first, then remove it.

Yea, I am really comfortable with all of it now. My boss and I had a lot of fun this weekend. She is recovering from brain surgery (4 yrs ago) and any kind of physical activity is a bonus. Plus we're just a couple of goofy, giggly girls when we get together. :05: It was so nice to have a reason to hang out with her.

I just needed the time to practice and adjust to what it feels like not having my mask on. I just didn't know how to breath without taking water in thru my nose. It really didn't take very long at all to get comfortable with all of it. I just needed time and a positive person with me. lol I am feeling very good about scuba again but, now I have to deal with getting in a different class and doing what I need to do to dive in belize at the end of August.

One Step at a Time Patience.....patience......patience....

Thanx so much for all of the advice and positivity !!!! This board rocks!! :D

Yeah I had some issues with mask clearing (especially) at first, but managed to eventually work it out. :) I am excited about the next session of pool and open water dives. :)

Excellent idea,...thinking it through really does help.

Dave in PA:
I had some problems the first couple of confined water dives....Mostly I didn't like to breath without my mask on! So each time we were given a 'swim around time' I went to the deep end, kneeled down and thought through every last step of each mask exercise. As soon as I had it straight in my head, I partiallly flooded it and then cleared it. I repeated it until I was comfortable, then I fully flooded it and cleared it until I was comfortable. Then I took the mask off and put it back on until I was comfortable. One thing that I think gets 'lost in the sauce' is that all of these basic skills are just that...skills. The only way to get good at a skill is to practice it, and learn it until it is second nature, then it will become a habit. BUT you must proceed at your own pace.

The reason I went to the deep end of the pool? So I couldn't just bolt to the surface, and I very nearly did a couple of times. It gave me the extra half second delay to tell myself to breath through my mouth and I had plenty of air. I did it and you can to, as long as you want to and never give up!

You did just fine. Nothing lots of new students don't have an intitial problem with. And for all who are reading this WK fixed the problem on her own before I had a chance to work one on one with her at the end of the class. So that as an excellent recovery. :wink:

I now have 50+ dives, can't say that all of them were enjoyable, but I feel I'm just getting into the swing of things. Keeping my cool and enjoying all the stuff there is to see.

Sounds like your DI needs to keep his day job. Getting a new DI hopefully will help, unless the whole shop has the same attitude. If so, the find a new dive shop and explain your problem that you will need a slower pace to build your confidence up, not everyone is born a fish. I was not a swimmer, drank the pool x2, 1 my fault, 2 was buddies fault (don't recommend this practice) realize that you can cough the water out without bolting for the surface and the air is right there. Also, remember why you wanted to do this? Great stuff to see. Hang in there. Not your fault, they are there to teach you how, not just what to do.

It's difficult for me to really know how the other person is feeling, as Snorkeling came to me too easily, then Free Diving, then Scuba - a Natural, if you will. Not that good of a diver, but what skills I have were easy to acquire.

The best I can offer is that I've known gals who had bigger challenges but made it into diving, still. Know one who couldn't even swim, but bluffed thru that to get certified - only to get too seasick to move, weekend charter after weekend. She kept paying the money, riding the North Carolina boat for hours - deathly ill, and never making in the water. Finally, she got the crew to put her gear on her and throw her in, so she could start to stabilize. She just kept going until she could bluff better. She still gets ill on boat rides, and still freezes in 78oF water, but she's turned into a fantastic diver. If I ever have an Out Of Air episode without my Pony, I'll look for her first, as she always has air to spare and the skills I can count on.

Or I can tell you about teaching my daughter, son-in-law, grandson, and sister to Snorkel last week. We did a brief pool session, and - since I'm not a teacher, and found all this to be easy, I couldn't understand how they could have problems. But we kept at it until they had the basics. We boarded a boat at 7am the next morning, and at 7:30am I was encouraging them to step off of a perfectly good boat into deep water; some of them were nervous, but worked thru it so they could swim with Manatees. {That will blow your mind!} By 11am, I was holding the grandbaby so they could all be in the water at the same time.

I've also known gals who could not work thru it, but - yet they may someday...?

For you, do whatever it takes, within what you want to do. Different class, different instructor, private lessons, hirde your own DM, whatever. I'd hate to see you miss out on the best sport going. Byeond that, it's practice and study.... :D

Can't say this enough....

Thanx so much for all of the positive responses! Sometimes you just have to hear it from others to get on the right track.

First of all, practicing has made all of the difference. I am feeling very comfortable with clearing my mask as well as taking it off.

Second, the owner of the dive shop is working with me to get me certified before I leave next month for belize. I think that everything happens for a reason and it is really a good thing that I now have a lot more time to learn and practice. I have a very busy schedule and as I told him, there is a reason I signed up for this class 2 months ago. So, it'll take me about 5 weeks total instead of the 3 their classes run.

Everything is definately a learning experience and (hee hee) you can bet I won't put the octo in upside down again!!! Some day I may even laugh about that instructor. Just not today. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom