Havin a hard time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your experience sounds similar to mine (minus the jerk-off instructor) when I learned to dive. I freaked at everything, some people do that while others are comfortable right off the bat. A patient instructor can make all the difference in the world, I hope you find one who will take the time to help you work through your urge to panic. You have to learn to tell yourself that as long as you're breathing you're OK even if you're sucking a little water. Always make that first inhale slow and easy just in case you haven't properly cleared your snorkel or regulator. You can usually get enough air to finish clearing a snorkel and you always have the option of using the purge valve on the regulator (stick your tongue over the opening so it doesn't shoot water down your throat).

If you think this sport is for you take your time learning how to do it. There are a lot of good instructors out there, find one who will work at your pace even if it means the class is going to cost more than you anticipated the money spent will be well worth it.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress.
Ber :lilbunny:

tiggrr:
There are jerk-offs everywhere and to avoid them would mean never leaving the house. What fun is that?

Did anyone here have 2nd thoughts that maybe this wasn't for them but, turn it around and love SCUBA in the end?
I really loved being under the water and am looking forward to seeing so many things. I just have such a bad taste in my mouth.

One of the things I love the most about being "the guy who steps in to help teach" (DM) is the opportunity to take students like yourself to the side and work on the basics at a pace that is comfortable for them.

Submerging yourself completely underwater with no connection to life support besides what you carry is not a real familiar experience for anyone who signs up, people adjust in different ways, with different feelings, etc. Sure most people have the highest percentage of problems with mask flood and regulator loss. A flooded mask can certainly precipitate any number of catastrophes is the diver is not calm and able to confidently clear the mask. An unrecovered regulator is a piss-poor excuse to die, without serious entanglement I can't imagine an unrecoverable regulator.

The instructor you worked with sounds like a real horses-a$$ but every story has two sides, I won't bash him just consider it a learning experience related to your first statement I quoted.

If the shop is letting you sit through another class gratis, enjoy and then re-assess your readiness for OW dives. I have seen students with fair to decent instructors repeat pool sessions with 2-3 classes before heading to the ow.

While I agree that diving is certainly not for everyone, I think it's important to remember that the transition to and comfort level with SCUBA varies. The student that I remember doing 3 class sessions worth of confined water just came up to me at the local quarry a couple weekends ago and confirmed, once again, that the conclusions/assumptions I make about students the first time I see them in a pool are not always correct. Students who don't quickly develop that comfort level may do so eventually, some may not and there is no shame in that.

My wife is certified but doesn't consider herself a diver, she's more of a snorkeler. She loves the ocean, the reef, the fish, etc, but never developed that comfort level and after 10-15 ow dives hasn't been back in the water on SCUBA. I respect her strength to admit that instead of pushing herself to do dives I want to do, I love her but would much rather dive with someone who wants to be there.

CD

Tiggrr,
I have been having problems with mask clearing too. My OWC is next weekend. I posted a while back about my problems and how I suceeded in clearing my mask. The link is here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=63769 Last night was confined water 4 for me. I did great on the half and full mask flood. Somehow though when I took my mask off I got water up my nose before I even started to put it back on.

I started caughing in the reg and the old get to the surface panic started. My brain kicked in and I realized that if I was caughing in the reg that meant I was inhaling from it too. Hey I CAN BREATH. So I just kept my eyes closed and didn't bother trying to put the mask back on. Just wanted to get breathing under control. Once I did that then I started to put my mask back on. Well of course I get water up the nose again. Caugh some more in the reg, again get my breathing under control without worying about the mask. Finally I got it cleared. Wow what a great feeling, I got in trouble twice and didn't come up! What a confidence builder for OWC.

Funny thing is that when we came up, my buddy told me that while I was having problems she gave a concered look at the instructor to ask her if she wansn't going to do something. The isntructor told her I was doing fine so just to wait. I am glad they did just wait. It took all my concentration to hold it together and remind myself that caughing in the reg means I am also inhaling from it so I CAN breath. The second time I was having problems I was loosing confidence in the reg a bit so before I breathed in I blew through it to make sure it was clear. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM or email me if you want to talk.

Judy

jstuart1:
My brain kicked in and I realized that if I was caughing in the reg that meant I was inhaling from it too. Hey I CAN BREATH. So I just kept my eyes closed and didn't bother trying to put the mask back on. Just wanted to get breathing under control.

STOP. BREATHE. THINK. BREATHE. ACT!

Think it, Live it! Good work and congrats Judy!

CD_in_Chitown that hit a little close to home! :11: No offence taken. :wink: Thanks for the congrats. I can honestly say that I am so excited and know I can do this. You are absolutely right that you have to STOP, BREATH, THINK, BREATH and then finally ACT. Once you realize you have air LIFE IS GOOD.

You will absolutely never encounter a situation underwater that you cannot worsen exponentially through panic.

I have been an instructor for 10 years now and I have lots of people who tried scuba..initially hated it becuase on an experience or experiences like yours and after all was said and done. they ended up loving it.
Hang in there. It does get better.
As for the instructor. There are great instructors out there and there are great divers. but not all great divers make great instructors. Sounds like the instuctor you are dealing with has bedside manner issues.

Just a little confidence booster....

I will be going and taking my final dives this weekend in my OWC. Last week I got my first experience at mask clearing. As probably everyone after reading this forum, I was a little nervous. I first took my mask off, feeling that cold water rush across my face starled me a bit and I tried taking a breath, immediately got water up my nose. I told myself not to panic, and didn't and was concentrating on breathing in my mouth, out my nose and with 2 breaths, I was done.

Yeah, i'm not really trying to pat myself on the back, but when we came up our instructor told us that we were probably his first class ever that didn't have 1 person panic and go to the top. This shocked me. So Why am I telling you this? I just wanted you to know that you arn't irregular. I bet there are several on this forum who have been diving for years now that when they first started were having the exact problems you are right now. Stick it out, hopefully you'll get some 1 on 1 attention and work through it. :) Good Luck!

I went thru almost the same thing, and felt exactly the same way. Although in my case the instructor didn't let me bolt to the surface. After being held under, sucking water from a failed attempt at mask clearing, feeling like I was about to drown, I was ready to leave the class. But I stuck with it.

There is no doubt that you can do this. All it takes is time and practice. I spent hours in my pool practicing, and now mask clearing is nothing. I used to dread it, and now I can do it with ease.

Don't let a bad instructor ruin your chances to conquer your fears and find a great pastime.

When you conquer what seems to be an impossible fear, the rewards are priceless.

Who knows if you'll end up loving scuba. But it's fairly certain that if you give up, there will always be that doubt about whether it you would have loved it, whether you missed the many opportunites to meet friends, whether you passed on something you could have shared with a friend or spouse or kids.

Just do it. There's no rush. Take your time. Find a way to practice. Find a pool or whatever. Ask the instructor to help you. Or find an experienced buddy to help you. And let us know how you do.

I've often wondered why instructors didn't have the student submerge without the mask, put it on and then clear it . . . .

Any thoughts from any instructors???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom