Have you ever used scuba equipment you absolutely hated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly which one do you have? I've been looking for a hat like that to take UW.​
It's a Dakine Surf hat. I have a few. This one can be found here: No Zone Hat I haven't used it off of a boat yet, but it worked well in the pool. I also have this one, though not in the 2X. The XL was a bit tight: Indo Surf Hat However, I don't like black gear if I can avoid it. I believe it scares the fish, hence my move to a more colorful hat.

The whole premise of this thread and of SB in general is for people to solicit and give their opinions
It seems that I've offended you by disagreeing with the premise and having the temerity to express that. It seems my opinions are not welcome here. Mea culpa.

1. Opinions are like _ssholes, everybody has one and most of them stink.
2. There are tall people and short people with benefits and drawbacks for both.
3. All gear is created with intentions to be great, until someone decides that it sucks.

I've pointed this out in other threads, but as a group, divers tend to use only two categories: Awesome or crap! It's a result of the fairly common attitude that states "If I don't dive, teach or sell it, then it must be crap!" Dive and let dive. Gear and let gear. Post and let post.
That's why I said that my original post was intended to be a joke and added the caveat that some friends dive with both the Air2 and a jacket BC and are quite happy with it. Neither of those are for me. I hate them both. But that doesn't make them evil.

The only piece of gear that I truly hated was the Seaquest Dimension BCD, the shop I worked for at the time insisted that I use a brand of equipment that they sold. Unfortunately at the time out of the brands that they sold, U.S. Divers, Scubapro and Seaquest, only Seaquest had a back inflate BCD and it was terrible.

The small (now defunct) LDS we took our OW class from had an extremely limited equipment selection, so we ended up with Tusa TM-8000Q HyperDry masks. This MASSIVE mask should have been called “HyperVolume”. It featured a one-way valve to allow purging simply by exhaling into it. Fine, but this severely limited access to your nose for equalization. Certainly not good or recommended for beginners. Very first POS we replaced!

The small (now defunct) LDS we took our OW class from had an extremely limited equipment selection, so we ended up with Tusa TM-8000Q HyperDry masks. This MASSIVE mask should have been called “HyperVolume”. It featured a one-way valve to allow purging simply by exhaling into it. Fine, but this severely limited access to your nose for equalization. Certainly not good or recommended for beginners. Very first POS we replaced!

I remember those masks, they were truly awful!

My first mask was a Scubapro Trivent. The thing was a bucket but it sealed on my face first time everytime so i loved it

In hindsight i realize that the purge vent really got in the way of pinching my nose to equalize and that may be when i got into the habit of hands-free equalization, an ability that has served me well with full face mask commercial diving. As someone said upthread, even bad gear can have a silver lining.

Sherwood Insight computer.

The computer worked fine but I just could not see it when underwater and the backlight on it did not help so the hate has to be on my own eyes I suppose.

Everything that I have ever bought from OMS (Ocean Management Systems) was garbage, and they wouldn't honor their warranty.

Back
Top Bottom