Have you ever used scuba equipment you absolutely hated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anything and everything with a beaver tail . . .

What an odd contraption. Might be good for my son, who has muscular dystrophy.
No! These Fins (Farallon-Fins) would not be good for your son, they remove stress on the ankle, but transfer that stress to the knee. Also, like Bob DBF stated, they have a restriction on ankle movement that does not allow efficient finning. I'll add more in s different post.

SeaRat

I didn’t realize I had a visceral hatred for it at the time, but my first BCD was an Oceanic Excursion (not to be confused with a Ford Excursion, but almost as big). Huge, bulky and expensive. I quickly replaced it with a Dive Rite TransPac which opened my eyes to the “freedom” of diving with a BP&W. Shortly thereafter I got my first Freedom/Contour plate and have never looked back...until now.

and I wasn't used to that.
You sure it was a gear failure??? I've used an air two and it was successful in getting me to the surface twice. Once when my first stage imploded and once when a student (not mine) ran out of air. I like a much, much shorter corrugated hose, so I opted out.

It's up to the diver to be familiar with not only his kit, but his buddy's kit. If you're an instructor or guide, you should be familiar with everyone in your group's kit.
Well, sorry if I offended you.
I appear to have offended him as well. Oh my.

I appear to have offended him as well

You did? Where? Please do let me know so that I can get offended for real and respond to you appropriately.

You sure it was a gear failure??? I've used an air two and it was successful in getting me to the surface twice. Once when my first stage imploded and once when a student (not mine) ran out of air. I like a much, much shorter corrugated hose, so I opted out.

It's up to the diver to be familiar with not only his kit, but his buddy's kit. If you're an instructor or guide, you should be familiar with everyone in your group's kit.

I appear to have offended him as well. Oh my.
It wasn't a gear failure. The gear did exactly what it was supposed to do: suck.

I meant my earlier comment as a joke. But I do have a strong dislike for the air2 because of that experience. Early on, I was all in on the idea of having an air2 and air integrated computer so I could have the minimum number of hoses coming of my first stage.

My first mask was terrible.
Actually, the very first mask I bought was a Dacor freediving style low volume mask that I thought I hated because I thought I couldn't see. It was for abalone diving and the guy at the dive shop recommended it.
I returned it a few days later and picked out a big giant multi window brick of a mask that I thought would be better. I used it for a few months then realized how bad it really sucked for freediving. So then I went back and re-bought the Dacor and realized just how great it was for everything. Turns out the guy at the dive shop was right.
I had a Seaquest Black Diamond BC that I thought was the greatest and after I used it for a few years I realized how huge and cumbersome it was. I got an OMS stainless backplate with a STA and a 35 lb. standard doubles wing ( there were not single tank skinny wings then). I thought it was great at first then I started to doubt the benefits of using a doubles plate for single tank diving, especially one with such a steep bend.
Then I made a Freedom Plate.

My Air2 went away shorty after I got it which was when I bought my first set of gear. They were touted as the best thing ever.
My buddy and I were doing air shares once during a rescue class and it was my turn to be OOA, so I signaled him and he handed me his primary. He went to grab his Air2 for himself and instead grabbed his snorkel and took in a lung full of water which sent him straight to the surface 20’ above, of course ripping the donated second stage right out of my mouth and leaving me there. Good thing it wasn’t for real.
I also hate ankle weights.
I hated those locks cam lever type fin straps they had on Mares avanti quattro’s, they always came undone.
I’m not a fan of bulky consoles.
I’ve had my share of booties that I hate.

Aqualung i200 computer. I got it because of a big discount my LDS gave me and it was a computer to use until I could get what I really wanted. It is terrible to use, the navigation is awful and it had to be fixed twice in less than 50 dives.

Also, any 7 mil wetsuit. It was miserable and I quickly understood why people use drysuits.

I'm having a tough time recalling any gear that i actually hated. Years ago, while working on the Aqua World boats in Cancun, we'd often use the boat gear, to save the wear on our personal stuff. That gear was a well-used mish-mash of gear from US Divers, Dacor, Tusa, Cressi-Sub, Sherwood, etc. I was particularly not a fan of much of Tusa's and US Diver's stuff, but I don't recall having any issues with any of it that resulted in serious dislike.
Years later, working at another dive shop on Cozumel, our (husband and wife) owners resisted to the bitter end, spending money on gear maintenance, and it was almost impossible to find a regulator or BC that didn't leak air, or have water in the gauges, be missing parts, and other gear-related issues. Though I generally didn't use the shop's gear, I had to assign it to students or boat divers, and I really grew to hate that ratty old pile of always-wet gear, LOL!!

In this blast-from-the-past, taken by my brother around '94 in Cancun, I recognize the US Divers BC, and the hose protectors from one of the boat's regs (as well as my nearly-useless 3mm Henderson, that came as part of a company group purchase. Come to think of it, I had no love at all for that wetsuit, or the 5mm I also got at that time, and I've been turned off to Henderson, ever since.)

thumbnail (21).jpg

something like this one?
MAXLUX S - Beuchat

I love mine, but I have a fairly narrow face. And not a tiny nose, but it fits my face well. So I bought two spares when they went on sale locally a while back.

The one day of diving I did in rental gear after doing the previous 60 or so dives in my BP/W and with my own regs, with a jacket style BC without integrated weights proved I do kind of hate jacket BCs, and I really really hate weight belts (I have integrated weight pockets mounted to the BP/W). Also, I missed the easy breathing and comfobite from my Apeks...

I really didn't like that mask. Wasn't even able to seal on dry, let alone while diving. I have narrow face and high cheekbones, and only like micro masks and small masks fit. Best fit ever I had was Cressi Calibro.
But when ever I try a small tall mask, it never fits

Back
Top Bottom