Have you dove Disney's Epcot Dive Quest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lack of bottom dwellers has to do with the material on the bottom and the filtration system underneath. Its not feasible to have a sand bottom with that aquarium design.

The exit for divers (after the tour) is into Epcot, but the late starts for both daily groups means they aren't giving up much entrance revenue. And your family or friends that are not on the tour will need a regular entrance to see you diving from behind the glass.

I can't speak to the health of the fish, but I'm sure that its not possible for it to become a complete ecosystem. I was left with the impression that they would do whatever the could for the sealife, within the budget constraints they have (and that everyone has). FWIW, none of the tour revenue (from those of us that actually paid LOL!) goes to supporting the aquarium, that money all goes into a nonprofit to fund marine life projects.

IMO the tour and being behing the scenes is just as cool as the dive. The dive itself is rather tame, but there are two really neat features. One is seeing the people on the otherside of the glass. It's just wierd to be on the wet side of the glass looking out. Also as someone noted earlier, the sharks swim in a pattern around the tank. They have at least one sand tiger, which is a very intimidating looking shark. If you watch the pattern he swims, and then position yourself in the pattern, get neutral and slow your breathing as he gets near, the shark will swim right by you. It's very cool to see the sand tiger comming right at you with all of those snaggle teeth showing. When I was there he swam just over my head, maybe three feet away. It was worth the price. There are also group discounts for ten or more, maybe post up a trip here and see if you can get a group.

The tour was interesting. The sharks, rays, and turtles seemed to be in good shape but many of the reef fish looked pretty sad. The fake reef was just that. It was a blast playing with the kids on the other side of the glass, they got an incredible kick out of it.

I did the dive when I was in Orlando attending a meeting and took the shuttle to Epcot. I bought my ticket for $75 at the DAN auction. They seem to have about a half dozen tickets each year.

I'm glad I did the dive once, it was an interesting experience and beats working. I seriously doubt I would do it again.

Good diving, Craig

I did it once, it was an interesting/unique experience and I'm glad I did it. It's really about the whole experience and not just the dive. I doubt I would pay to do it again though, unless maybe I was there with someone who hadn't done it, family who wanted to see me in there, or some reason like that.

I'm going to give the opposite view from many who have posted; and yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if your wrong (LOL) - there have been a bunch of threads about this "experience" and I've refrained from posting, but....

I can't think of anything - short of a root canal - I'd rather do LESS

Its expensive, it has that "Disney Fakeness" aspect to it; heck, the "reef" is fake - you are diving in a fish tank - a big one I'll grant you, but a fish tank!

Aren't you divers for goodness sake - why bother with a tank - you are w/in a couple of hours of some of the best diving in the USA.

Want to see sharks in their natural habitat; come with me and we will dive Jupiter - know 2 or 3 sites we are guaranteed to see something interesting.

Too many post about how unique the experience is and how "fun" (you want to drop on the "Tower of Terror" ride, or "Space Mountain" or even the "Peter Pan" ride, or the Hall of the Presidents; I'm right there with you - bet many of you like the "Its a Small World" too - YUCK) not to me I -

I wanted to give the "Grintch" point of view!

And what is it about this place? There has been one thread after another asking about this - or maybe it this one that seems to have gone on forever.....

Are you allowed to bring an UW camera...even a small one?
No. Your family or friends can take pictures of you from behind the glass, or you can buy the video (which is largely stock footage with little bits of your dive group thrown in for good measure).

The only thing you are allowed to take is your own mask; in case you are difficult to fit or have prescription lens, etc.

Aren't you divers for goodness sake - why bother with a tank - you are w/in a couple of hours of some of the best diving in the USA.
I don't disagree with you on this point, but one of the reasons people do this is to try and show their families and friends what the scuba experience is like. Having your small children see you underwater might just be the thing that makes them want to be a diver when they get older. And there is a certain novelty to the whole experience for some people. One of the things I appreciated most about it was just the backlot tour of the aquarium. Obviously, YMMV.

Are you allowed to bring an UW camera...even a small one?

nope... no camera

If you could take a camera.... then they wouldn't be able to sell you the DVD of you diving for $35 each as easy... BTW.. I wasn't impressed by their DVD. most of it is "canned footage" that doesn't even include your group.

they claim that they don't want to contaminate the tank. (which is sorta true).

Its expensive, it has that "Disney Fakeness" aspect to it; heck, the "reef" is fake - you are diving in a fish tank - a big one I'll grant you, but a fish tank!

you expected real coral?

It would have been destroyed by the fish eating on it in the first year.

Did the dive. Co$tly, really hokey, lots of fun, & worth it. Interesting behind-the scenes tour. You wear their gear, including a shortie. Depth about 27' & water temp about 76o. They may allow you to use your own mouthpiece. No snorkel or octopus. Sick fish? The claim is that the water is so clean it is un-natural for the fish. The coral isn't real. My wife & kid dined in the restaurant, up near the glass. I swam up to 'em, made faces, etc.., & did the same for many others. Kids love it. "Questionable" gestures are warned against & you're told: "Remember that you're in DisneyWorld."

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom