Have you dove Disney's Epcot Dive Quest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well I thought the DVD was a waste of money.

I'd seen it before on other people that had gone and they let us watch our DVD also to get us to buy it.

most of it was "stock footage" with other divers who had clearly different gear (wetsuits, fins, BC's) that no one in our group even had.

It was prob 20 minutes long, with the intro footage being stock logo type footage, then everyone swims in a line for them to video you, then you all go into the diving bell to video you, then swim in a line again.

The total amount of time from the video of people on our group was maybe 7 minutes.

It had me on the video for maybe 10-20 seconds max and for $35 dollars on top of the dive fee, I just opted not to get it.

I guess if you want the video, then hang out with the camera diver. He'll shoot what's near him.

There were only 4 divers the day I was there. The video guy asked which ones were going to get the video so he knew which ones to shoot the footage of. Only two of us got the video so there was plenty of footage of me. Plus...my family was there and he took video of me in the tank in front of them which I thought was great.

I've done it several times over the years. First time in '96?? or ... well, a few years ago, anyway. Last time: 10/25/08. Those aquarium fish never looked as healthy as their cousins in the wild, but, maybe that's the nature of aquariums. The experience has always been fun. WDW staff are enthusiastic, colorful and very informative. (Except this last time the main guy was sort of ... bland.) If you have your people there observing, you can get them in the video as well. And backstage, too. The tourists (you're a "cast member" whilst on the tour) will be in awe of you. You may even have some approach you later and ask if it was really you. There are a few sharks, in the 4-6' range. A total non-issue. Just like in real water. The interaction with your peeps and the Coral Reef restaurant folks is the most fun.
My personal, and very valid, advice is to go for it. Discounts abound.
YMMV. HTH.

compared to ours, we had maybe 12-15 people diving with us. Thus the reason for so little time per diver.

7 minutes divinged by 15 people is under 30 seconds per diver average.

I did this last year on my birthday, the point was to have my 5-year old daughter see her daddy underwater from behind the glass but she got sick that day (and it was raining buckets!) so I wound up doing the DiveQuest thing on my own. You absolutely, positively cannot reschedule. Period. At least I got a t-shirt two sizes too big. And kids and I are actually pretty big fans of the Disney experience. :shrug:

The tourwas interesting, including seeing behind the Disney curtain, but in retrospect from a diving perspective I'd have been much happier driving down Florida's Turnpike for a day to get on a charter out of WPB or Boyton or Pompano or wherever; or just doing the normal Disney parks experience.

Can't comment on the recent status of the fish... have done it 3 times in 5 or 6 years... once with daughters, once with a buddy and once by myself when I was down there on business and just had to get wet. It's always good because it's a nice dive in an incredible environment. PADI Dive Society, AAA, etc. all have discounts. Think maximum I've seen is 15% but there may be better one's to be had.

I did this last year on my birthday, the point was to have my 5-year old daughter see her daddy underwater from behind the glass [snip]

And kids and I are actually pretty big fans of the Disney experience. :shrug:

Actually.... I told someone else that, if I did it again, it would be so my little boy could see me diving.

This is a neat experience for any family member who doesn't normally get to see their loved one diving....

As for price, there's plenty of discounts available - all the major cert agencies, AAA, the various guidebooks... Usually 10-15% discount.

I did the dive in 1999 . It was a blast . I hope the issues with the fish is resolved , when we did it the creatures looked healthy . It is expensive but what is'nt nowadays . The above report tells it all other than the fact it is "more fun than a barrow full of monkeys"

I noticed this thread stopped in January with several comments on the status of the fish in the Living Seas at Epcot. I got to dive it yesterday. A friend (instructor) received two free passes for his work in the tank with the "cast members" so I can't speak on the cost of the dive, but the exit was into the Epcot park so the dive while costing something includes the Epcot park.
The point of this post is the status of the fish. I have dived all over the world and have seen a lot of oceans so I think I can compare real life environments to artificial environments. While the overall experience was good the fish did look stressed. Many had white skin growth, and were missing tail fins. The lack of small hatchlings (fry) in the water was quite apparent. The artificial coral looked real but provides no "energy" to the aquarium. No gobies, no eels, no stargazers, no flounders, etc made for a sterile environment. I suspect that Disney wants free swimming fish and not bottom dwellers as the "guest" behind the glass wouldn't see them anyway. The two large Goliath Gropers looked very stressed and actually were scraping themselves on the bottom of the tank, rolling from side to side. Was it to clean their scales or an act of bordom? Sharks swam a pattern around the tank usually in pairs. Their pattern of swimming showed a "conditioning" pattern, in other words much like a prisoner who has conditioned themselves to the never changing routine.
Did I enjoy myself? Sure, I was with a friend and the dive in the tank was a unique experience. The "cast" was great, the facilities great, and I'm sure that most everyone that paid to do this felt it was worth the price, but the fish are not the most health I seen.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom