Have you been denied a dive because of the lack of paper dive log (w/ signature)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outrageous, but their event their rules... sounds to me it was a marketing gimmicks event and you got the bums rush.

The thought did cross my mind but there had been other social dives of theirs I attended with just the C-card so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I find diving much more enjoyable when there are no other divers around to stir up vis, kick masks or scare/harass animals.

Me, too. But my buddy wanted to socialize!

If it isn't a bound book, with a confirmed page count and all entries in proper sequential order...it ain't a log.

Interesting take!

If you can prove you've done night dives before, why should they make you do another Adv Night then...

I think their take is that an electronic log without signature is not proof.

That's one of the big problems with organised dives. They want to mitigate their liability by having everyone sign waivers and show proof of experience. I find diving much more enjoyable when there are no other divers around to stir up vis, kick masks or scare/harass animals.
BTW, I've never been asked to show a logbook for any organised dive, and have only had to show my C-card a handful of times in nearly thirty years.
I'm with @MaxBottomtime

This might be particularly true for night dives, nothing worse than a whole bunch of bright lights shining all over the place

I've never been asked to see a log book, which is good, because I've never logged a dive past OW.

If it was me I would have showed up and done my dive and buddied up with whomever I pleased even if it someone who was part of their group. If asked I'd say "It's a free country, you don't own the ocean and your "printed and signed logbook policy" sucks donkey balls and I'd never join any of your dives, or spend any money in your shop and I'll tell every diver I know about your idiotic policies".

And no, I've never been asked for a printed and signed logbook. Many years ago a Florida Keys operator wanted to see logbooks prior to a deep wreck dive but nowadays the acceptable policy for every dive Op I've spoken to- and I've spoken to most in the Keys is that if you show an AOW card and can attest in a waiver that your most recent deep dive was within 6 months or so, no one is going to deny you.

Count me in as another who has never been asked to show any proof of experience other than cards.

I belong, and have been President of a very active dive club. Liability is an issue that individuals don't much want to deal with. But organizations of any sort have to consider that they could be on the receiving end of very calculating lawyers should something go awry. It's not likely, but it's possible. When it does happen survivors can be fair, or they can simply start suing everyone in the local vicinity of the accident.
As an individual diver I think that stuff is a necessary annoyance.
As a club president I paid much closer attention. I've been on the jury of a similar accident trial. It's not about right or wrong, or 'gross negligence'. It's about picking the jury and swaying them to a particular point of view.

I belong, and have been President of a very active dive club. Liability is an issue that individuals don't much want to deal with. But organizations of any sort have to consider that they could be on the receiving end of very calculating lawyers should something go awry. It's not likely, but it's possible. When it does happen survivors can be fair, or they can simply start suing everyone in the local vicinity of the accident.
As an individual diver I think that stuff is a necessary annoyance.
As a club president I paid much closer attention. I've been on the jury of a similar accident trial. It's not about right or wrong, or 'gross negligence'. It's about picking the jury and swaying them to a particular point of view.

Where does it end?

A cert, a digital log, a paper log, a recent log, a buddy signed log, an instructor signed logged, an instructor and witness signed log, a notarized instructor signed log, a signed log and sworn affidavit, an interview process, sponsors and video recording of the last dive?

Half tongue in cheek and half serious about what level of annoyance is necessary and we should be expected to live with.

Cameron

Twenty years ago diving in the Red Sea the dive op wanted to see my dive log book. As I was traveling for three months I did not have it, just my cards through Rescue. They made an off hand complaint about Americans but let dive anyway. Probably because I was renting gear for the next three days. That has been the only time.

I've never been asked for a log book. And don't carry one on dive trips, just blank pages. Helps meet the airline weight requirements. Several times I've not been asked to show a certification card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom