Have SB divers lost interest in GC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I will let you know my impressions in a trip report.
Thanks - hopefully, it’s recovered somewhat from the bleaching (if possible) as the bleached coral did not appear to be over-grown with algae.

While I did see some bleaching when in LC in late February, it was a far cry from that captured in @Joneill's videos (which are heartbreaking). And yep, no algae to speak of. Let's hope our differing observations are a sign of a strong comeback.

Regarding critters...during my recent trip the usual cast of characters were present and seemed to be in the same quantity as I saw in my February 2022 and February 2023 trips to LC with sharks being the one exception. In 2022, I saw sharks on what seemed like almost every dive. By 2024 it felt like about every fourth dive. The DMs' opinion was that the drastically reduced diving during Covid induced their return.

FWIW, the DMs spoke less about bleaching than some structural damage to the reef from the early February storm that hit the north side of LC. The DMs obviously get to know every inch of the reef so it's apparent to them where something like an entire barrel sponge broke off the wall and sank but not apparent to me (though I could easily see examples of where a major chunk had broken off). The DMs also mentioned swim-thrus that over the years had filled with sand to the point they were no longer passable that were scoured clean by the storm and back in use.

Funny how things change over a short time. We were on LC mid April and we saw reef sharks every day , and almost every dive, as well as Eagle Rays. Also encountered one Loggerhead and one Hammerhead over the week.

I agree that the hard corals are very stressed.

I should make a separate report rather than tack this onto a 2-year old thread, but this will bring some closure. After being shut out from Grand Cayman by the Covid experience, we are in Grand Cayman as I type. We have completed two days of diving so far, and so far we are sorely disappointed.

As I dived yesterday, I found myself thinking of my recent trip visiting the ruins of Mycenae in Greece. As I looked at those ruins, I wondered what it would have been like to visit what must have been a spectacular city 3,200 years ago, when the buildings were intact and colorfully painted, with a thriving population filling its streets. I thought the same thing about Grand Cayman's reefs, and I wondered what it would have been like to visit what must have once been a spectacular reef, when the coral was still alive with brilliant color, with a thousands of fish swarming the area. These last few days have indeed been much like visiting the bare, ruined rocks of Mycenae. I can only imagine how great the reef must have been once upon a time.

One thing we had not anticipated was the policies of the dive operation with which we are contracted--DiveTech. Pre-covid, they were a bigger outfit. Today, they have one boat, and it never goes to any site more than a 5-minute ride from the West Bay dock. That means what we have seen the last two days are what we will see for the rest of the week.

Next week we will be in Little Cayman.
I like the East end with Ocean Frontiers. Still lovely over there.

Unable to coord a trip with my usual buddies until the fall, I said "screw it" and a few days ago set up a last minute solo trip to GC. I'll be staying at Compass Point getting there on the 20th. I'll post my impressions of the current state of the East End...and if my photos aren't too embarrassing, I'll upload some of them. I was on LC in late Feb so I should be able to offer some comparative thoughts too.

Fingers crossed the East End is faring better than the West (I say that from way more than a selfish perspective...too many threads on SB with 💔 observations of SCTLD and bleaching).

@boulderjohn, I hope Bloody Bay Wall serves up some great dives. Given your practiced eye, I would be interested in your take on LC.
We dove the East end in Sept 2023. Still lovely then. We really like Ocean Frontiers and Compass Point.

I too am very interested in conditions on LC and GC. The Caymans are on my wife's short list of "places to do week+ long dive trips" but some of the bleaching reports here are giving me pause.

Just a quick follow-up to my earlier post about my disappointment with Grand Cayman. I have now completed two days of diving on Little Cayman, and the difference is enormous. Today's dive was on what may be the healthiest reef I have seen in years. If the DM had not gotten lost, it would have been a fabulous dive.

Just a quick follow-up to my earlier post about my disappointment with Grand Cayman. I have now completed two days of diving on Little Cayman, and the difference is enormous. Today's dive was on what may be the healthiest reef I have seen in years. If the DM had not gotten lost, it would have been a fabulous dive.
Were you lost too? Most of the dives off Little Cayman are pretty easy. We usually go by ourselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom