Hauling Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone for all of the great ideas and suggestions!! I'll definitely be making the Walmart trip to pick up plastic bins for the gear. Most of the diving I'll be doing is from the beach. For the boat dives, the Stanley rolling tool-box sounds great!

Dont carry the integrated BC with the weights in it. First, most boat crews dont appreciate being handed a BC with 20 lbs of weight in it, and second, if dropped over the side while passing, it is less likely to sink.

liberato:
Yes on the bins. They then double as wash tubs for the equipment. Don't get the very cheapest which are too hard and crack easily.

Agreed. we've had good luck with Rubbermaid, they feel softer but they won't stress like Sterllite or some of the harder ones.

Good idea on going with 2. Depending where you are when you break down booties and such may have sand, pine needles or other local debris clinging to them. BC, regs etc can get into the "clean" tote.

Watch out where you lay the weights in the vehicle. I have a hinged cubby in the floor of my van, that hinge will never be the same between the weights and salt.

Salt

spectrum:
Watch out where you lay the weights in the vehicle. I have a hinged cubby in the floor of my van, that hinge will never be the same between the weights and salt.

Did the salt destroy the metal on the hinge? Just curious. Nope shouldn't have that problem with my Trans Am pickup truck :)

Lexy:
Did the salt destroy the metal on the hinge? Just curious. Nope shouldn't have that problem with my Trans Am pickup truck :)
Not in a big way, I haven't spent much time with it yet. It's not grossly rusted or anything. It may be some sand, it may be some sand, salt or grit and it may be cumulative trauma from setting the weights down in that corner deformaing the hinge a bit. All I know at this point is that a quick treatment with penetrating oil din't work a miracle.

The big point is to watch out with the gear and salt water. We have some sites where we're still dripping when we get to the vehicle and you want to watch where that salt water goes. I'm in Maine and we have a real appreciation for the damage salt can do to a vehicle, Don't don't to try to keep it out of places like your car door locks.

Pete

(Edited because I'm a lousy proof reader early in the morning)

I use the XSScuba mesh gear bag with wheels (there are other vendors too). It's about the same size as an athletic bag. It works great for boat diving as it fits all my gear (except for weight belt) and if you pack it right it will stand on end. I can wheel it right down to the boat and it is extremely light so it doesn't add any of it's own weight. Down here you usually unpack your gear and stow in plastic bins that slide under your seat. So you just fold up that empty bag and stow in the hold, boat captains love that.

I split my weights between belt and integrated pouches. I sling the weight belt on my shoulder and put the integrated weight packs at the bottom of the bag (closest to wheels).

I also use this bag to fly. I move my wet suit to a suitcase and voila the bag fits in the overhead of 737, 757 and bigger.

Nice thing about mesh is you can cram everything in it, splash with a hose at the dock and rinse thoroughly when you get home. I have a wee bit of a drive to get home from the coast so this relieves any worry of crusties forming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom