Has anyone taken an Apple Watch to depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traditionally, on cheap digital watches, “50m” used to mean it would mostly be fine if you wore it while brushing your teeth. I suspect the Apple Watch is in fact a little better than that, but … yeah, no.

My husband said he'd take his on a dive if he was already planning to buy a new watch. It's getting close to upgrade time. I'll let you know if/when this happens!

The whole face is touch sensitive so it might be even more than just moisture, but also pressure. Hence the drysuit watch failure.

If the Apple Watch is like iPhones and other modern touch devices, then the touch technology is capacitive, where the touch location is determined by the change in capacitance between point sensors embedded in the screen. The older resistive touch technology detected location based on the change in resistance by the amount of pressure applied, as that would change the resistance of the sensor material at that location.

Of course, maybe Apple has something that is sensitive to pressure, but wouldn't that just make the interface go crazy instead of wrecking the device? It would think it was being pressed down and perhaps drain the battery until it shutdown?

Before the Descent, there was an unofficial app that turned the higher-end Garmin watches to dive computers. It looked pretty promising and the app sold for something like $30. There are photos at depth and some reports from testers. I think the developers were shut down, though I hope they did keep experimenting, just for the novelty of it.

From the apple website:

Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, and Apple Watch Series 3 have a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that they may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, they should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth

What's the benefit of 50m water resistance if you should only use it for "shallow-water" activities?

Reminds me of the Clinique Moisture Surge. Who wears face lotion for 100 hours without washing their faces - what benefit does this offer?

NEW Moisture Surge™ 100H Auto-Replenishing Hydrator
An upgrade on our fan-favorite. Refreshing oil-free gel-cream penetrates deep, lasts 100 hours.

I have gone snorkeling with mine in salt water many times. I turn on the setting to lock water out... Never a problem.

If they are anything like iPhones or Fitbits then I would also be aware of a potential issue of Trimix and Drysuit diving.

I’ve killed a few fitbits and iPhones by having them in my drysuit during a dive.

Only when using trimix to fill the drysuit instead of a suit inflation bottle.

apparently it’s the helium, it does something to the circuitboard or something.
After about a week they come back to life but like I said, I ended up replacing 2 fitbits under warranty before we realised what was killing them.

I dive with my Apple Watch in my dry suit quite often. No issues so far

From the apple website:

Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, and Apple Watch Series 3 have a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that they may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, they should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth

What's the benefit of 50m water resistance if you should only use it for "shallow-water" activities?

Reminds me of the Clinique Moisture Surge. Who wears face lotion for 100 hours without washing their faces - what benefit does this offer?

NEW Moisture Surge™ 100H Auto-Replenishing Hydrator
An upgrade on our fan-favorite. Refreshing oil-free gel-cream penetrates deep, lasts 100 hours.

My original point exactly.

Back
Top Bottom