Oceanic+ app on Apple Watch Ultra below 40 meters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Again- this is not to protect or control the diver, it’s to set a boundary for how the product is used.
I don’t know how else to interpret you saying that divers would ignore the depth limit if it wasn’t enforced. That’s a behavior of a diver to ignore limits, not the job of a computer.
No- compared to Apple, Garmin is basically a rounding error. Apple = 140 Garmins.
I did say that Garmin was not as large. However, when you compare Garmin to the rest of the DC industry, they are quite large.
AWU is never "bricked." At 130', AWU gives the diver a prominent warning/choice. Only if the diver chooses to reject that, depth/deco info stops. When the diver ascends back to 130', depth & timer info resumes.
I never said the AWU was bricked at 130’. At 130’, it stops telling the diver the depth, but does calculate it. At 145’ it is bricked as a dive computer. Oceanic+ will only report time and depth.

Can you tell me another computer that will lockout in water solely for reaching this depth?

So I think you should go for my solution of disassembling the Ultra to settle this 😂

@L13 @kimhill

I can lend a hammer and a saw.

So I think you should go for my solution of disassembling the Ultra to settle this 😂

@L13 @kimhill
Sites like ifixit.com often will do disassembly photos and videos. Perhaps there's something already?

Apple wouldn't have competitive hardware overall with stuff like air integration. But for them to "cheap out" on the depth sensor, when $200 dive watches go to 100m? On top of that, tie their hands for future enhancements?

No chance. I'll put money on that one.
At what odds? Given your stated confidence, they should be pretty good :wink: .

@L13 @kimhill

I can lend a hammer and a saw.
If the odds are good enough, I might buy an AWU after all🤣!

At 145’ it is bricked as a dive computer.
bricked2.jpg

OK. It ceases to function as a dive computer at that moment and for at least 24 hours after. It will no longer track N2 loading, and will just report time and depth. It’s bricked as a dive computer, not permanently, but it certainly is no use as a dive computer until it comes out of its lockout.

What Does Bricking a Device Mean?

Reactions: L13
What Does Bricking a Device Mean?

OK, fine. It is absolutely useless as a dive computer from that point and for any other dives that day. Do you know of any other dive computers that react the same way for breaching 145’?

Regardless of what you call it, I consider it a bad idea. Sounds like Apple wanted to build a dive computer and googled what diving is. They came across the recreational limit of 130’ added a little buffer and said that’s it. I guess it’s better than if they came across the OW training limit and capped it there.

Sounds like Apple wanted to build a dive computer and googled what diving is. They came across the recreational limit of 130’ added a little buffer and said that’s it.

I don’t think you understand how $2.5 trillion companies work.

Back
Top Bottom