Maldives Liveaboard Review with Apple watch ultra and Oceanic+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @acidrush,

Thanks for the additional information, interesting. Out of curiosity, what was the ballpark dive time and average depth of your dives. Were you diving AL80/11 l, AL100/13 l, or something else?

Thanks
Hi Scubadada,

Most dives were around 40-50mins. I was using a 15 litre tank.

Not sure about the average depth, not sure of how calculate it. Usually, the 1st two dives of the day were channel dives or blue water dives. For channel dives it usually means descending to 30+m and hooking on to the lip of the channel during an incoming current and watch the action. For Blue water dives it meant descending to find the thermocline, go below it and hope for big shark encounters like Tigers or Hammerheads. Most blue water dives paid off except for one dive. The thermocline during our trip was usually below 30m. The 3rd dive of the day was usually a reef dive with max depth of 15-20m.

Cheers!

No just checked. Only shows max depth not average depth.
You appear to be correct. I just viewed the post dive tutorial video and avg depth is not displayed anywhere in the log. That is really too bad, you can't calculate your gas consumption. Among other things, Oceanic/Huish really should fix that.

You appear to be correct. I just viewed the post dive tutorial video and avg depth is not displayed anywhere in the log. That is really too bad, you can't calculate your gas consumption. Among other things, Oceanic/Huish really should fix that.
I just checked my other computer which is an Aladin 2G, it does not show average depth as well. To be honest, until this thread, I never really considered about average depth all these years. As far as I know, the dive comps I used showed max depth and bottom time.

Just for interest, what does knowing your average depth do for a diver? Every dive is different, so how does calculating your air consumption help?

If you can calculate your air consumption for each dive, you can correlate that with dive circumstances, temperature, current, how much weight you're carrying. It gives all kinds of insights into your air consumption efficiency. Which - in turn - helps with gas planning.
For most recreational dives where breathing gas is more or less the limiting factor that determines dive duration, this is less relevant than when you're planning a dive with certain goals and are calculating the amount of gas you would need for that.

If you can calculate your air consumption for each dive, you can correlate that with dive circumstances, temperature, current, how much weight you're carrying. It gives all kinds of insights into your air consumption efficiency. Which - in turn - helps with gas planning.
Just out of curiosity. What do these gas plans look like for a ndl dive?
We used to just swim along a reef or whatever until one person would hit return pressure and swim back at a shallower depths.

Let me quote the second part of my own reply then.
For most recreational dives where breathing gas is more or less the limiting factor that determines dive duration, this is less relevant than when you're planning a dive with certain goals and are calculating the amount of gas you would need for that.

It's just crazy, how people can write two paragraphs, but some people just insist on just reading one.

It's just crazy, how people can write two paragraphs, but some people just insist on just reading one.
Ok, so can I ask what insights you gained that helped you with gas planning for any dive? I'm just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom