Maldives Liveaboard Review with Apple watch ultra and Oceanic+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a kind of KPI for me. The lower my gas consumption, the more efficient/relaxed I was. It's just a simple one-metric lag indicator for me.

With gas planning, your gas consumption is a variable without which you cannot calculate how long you'll be able to dive a certain profile. It helps you making the choice between doing a surface swim to a point and the drop vs gradually descending following the bottom to that same point (in case of a shore dive).

So it gets you some insights into your own 'performance' if you will, and knowing your average air consumption is a variable you need when you're planning things in more detail.

It's a kind of KPI for me. The lower my gas consumption, the more efficient/relaxed I was. It's just a simple one-metric lag indicator for me.

With gas planning, your gas consumption is a variable without which you cannot calculate how long you'll be able to dive a certain profile. It helps you making the choice between doing a surface swim to a point and the drop vs gradually descending following the bottom to that same point (in case of a shore dive).

So it gets you some insights into your own 'performance' if you will, and knowing your average air consumption is a variable you need when you're planning things in more detail.
Haha! Never knew diving has become so complicated. All I have done over the years when diving on LOB is make sure I have above 200 bar at the start of the dive, do the dive, send up a SMB during safety stop and wait for boat to pick me up.

Haha! Never knew diving has become so complicated. All I have done over the years when diving on LOB is make sure I have above 200 bar at the start of the dive, do the dive, send up a SMB during safety stop and wait for boat to pick me up.
Which is true for the majority of divers. I think a dive computer should/could facilitate these calculaties for those who want them. You don’t have to use them of course, but then at least you could if you wanted to.

I just checked my other computer which is an Aladin 2G, it does not show average depth as well. To be honest, until this thread, I never really considered about average depth all these years. As far as I know, the dive comps I used showed max depth and bottom time.

Just for interest, what does knowing your average depth do for a diver? Every dive is different, so how does calculating your air consumption help?
Aladin2G for sure has average depth, at least in gauge mode. I am using one and has avg depth on main screen in every dive. It is one of the main reason I keep using this computer. Oceanic computers don’t have it, many that is why they didn’t implements for Apple Watch either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom