Has anyone taken an Apple Watch to depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As the OP on this thread, I agree that the thread has stayed on topic long enough. :)
Well, OK, then. Anyone have experience with bringing phones underwater inside a drysuit? Seems like if it was bad for the watch, it'd be bad for the phone, but maybe not?

Well, OK, then. Anyone have experience with bringing phones underwater inside a drysuit? Seems like if it was bad for the watch, it'd be bad for the phone, but maybe not?
I can't help but think that would be uncomfortable. I had an Apple Watch 3 that I locked up on a dive while it was under my drysuit. I now have a 4 that I've worn a few times under my drysuit and it has been fine. I guess I don't have any reason to wear it outside of the suit. It doesn't record any useful dive information.

I was suiting up for a shore dive a couple of months ago and another diver who just got out of the water was swearing. I asked her what the problem was, and she just realized that her brand-new iPhone was in the drysuit's pocket. The outside pocket. Scratch one $1300 phone.

To clarify, I mean taking the phone underwater inside the drysuit, where it would be subject to pressure but not water. That was one of the first scenarios discussed about the watch, and the watch in that story failed even though it presumably didn't get wet.

I can't help but think that would be uncomfortable. I had an Apple Watch 3 that I locked up on a dive while it was under my drysuit. I now have a 4 that I've worn a few times under my drysuit and it has been fine. I guess I don't have any reason to wear it outside of the suit. It doesn't record any useful dive information.

Does it not record anything useful like heart rate or SPO2 when locked?

I often have my iPhone in my pocket on shallow shore dives and have noticed no ill effects. On deeper dives I don’t, but mostly because the circumstances are different (boat dive, not solo, etc) and not specifically out of concern for the phone…

Does it not record anything useful like heart rate or SPO2 when locked?
Yes, it was tracking heart rate/movement or whatever it does to track calories/exercise.

I forgot my Pixel 4a in my undergarment pocket once. Fortunately it survived.

Resistant ratings are a limited time (ie 30 minutes at 50m) unlike proof that should last and are backed by warranty. Also i would be scared to touch the side buttons on resistant since they usually only have one o-ring instead of the 2 or 3 that proof ratings have. That being said, i swim with my apple watch with bo problems and have found 4 apple watches in a recreational swimming area at 15-20 foot depth under an inflatable obstacle course and 3 of them charged and turned on just fine.

Back
Top Bottom