Has anyone had a “free flowing” nose on a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too. Snorting noises. Diving a Revo.

can’t say if I noticed it with a DSV.
DSV and gag strap here... So it can happen. I was too embarresed to post it here, glad someone else started the thread.

I think concentrating on minimal loop volume might be something to try, maybe the loop volume is getting a little high and then you go up a couple of feet and your are unconsciously breathing out your nose. As far as the snorty/hummy DSV, take a look at the mushroom valves, make sure everything is hunky dory there.

As others said, seems to be the soft pallet muscles having a rest for a few minutes. Doesn’t happen very often and seems to go away when I stop thinking about it. I have a BOV and wonder if it’s related to the loop being a little heavier and stiffer with the additional regulator LP hose, can’t say if I noticed it with a DSV.

Seems like water is getting in to my nasal passage but more related to the soft palate not sealing -- like having a lot of snot after sneezing. Not noticed fatigue or aching, just that the snorting is annoying and uncomfortable.
I'm running a DSV so not sure if it's related to weight with a BOV. I think you have a good point with not noticing any ache or fatigue -- I have not consciously felt that when it is happening or after the dive. Just seems to happen at random. Very uncomfortable and disconcerting feeling...I have called the dive each time since I was not able to make it go away.

DSV and gag strap here... So it can happen. I was too embarresed to post it here, glad someone else started the thread.
No dumb questions. I feel like quite a few people have / have had this issue on CCR (and it doesn't seem to be confined to a type of unit either).

Unit dependent in terms of hydrostatic pressure, but I found being too anal about MLV made it worse

I have called the dive each time since I was not able to make it go away.
When does it come on? How long do you notice it for?

Mine's random. I think, can't confirm, that it's more to do with shallower dives. Last week was in a crappy shallow lake -- was trying to get videos of a drysuit dumping problem, but the poor vis made that hard.

However, had done several ascents from 6m/20ft when the grunting started. Was annoying for a while then I obviously ignored it and it went away. No idea what got rid of it.

What are we going to call this "new" phenomenon?

When does it come on? How long do you notice it for?

Mine's random. I think, can't confirm, that it's more to do with shallower dives. Last week was in a crappy shallow lake -- was trying to get videos of a drysuit dumping problem, but the poor vis made that hard.

However, had done several ascents from 6m/20ft when the grunting started. Was annoying for a while then I obviously ignored it and it went away. No idea what got rid of it.

What are we going to call this "new" phenomenon?
It seems random for me too. I've had it happen shallow (~50 ft) and deep (~155 ft). The last dive where it happened I tried for over 20 mins to solve the problem but ended up calling the dive. It did seem to start going away near the end of the dive (pulling our primary may have helped me forget the issue). Ended up doing deco on OC.

How about "Flappy Nose"?

I snort too. It’s annoying. I think it’s when im really relaxed and my breathing pattern shifts to inhaling thru my nose, because breathing on my ccr is so easy compared to OC when you get into the inhale/exhale pattern. The ccr i just breathe. I don’t worry about min loop volume. I don’t like too full because it makes me gag, but the more hours the better i am at that, and vent out my nose without thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom