Has anyone been to Fantasy Island, Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
I'm thinking I might send an email out within the next few weeks to see if we could get the group to Balmorhea maybe in the January/February time frame. It could be a fun weekends of diving and a nice change a scenery from the Blue Hole. :)

Talk to you soon!
Okay, found the date of the Texas Swampers Balmorhea plan...
Hemlon:
The tentative date is Feb 9-11, 2007. I hope you'll be able to join us!
I called the dive shop and they are open weekends, closed weekdays. They fully expect to be there for fills this weekend. They are a little pricey, but what would one expect for their location...
1-Tanks fills: $10 - how long does a tank last at 10-20 depth?
2-Tank rentals: $15 day, initial fill included.

DandyDon:
1-Tanks fills: $10 - how long does a tank last at 10-20 depth?

98 minutes. :wink:

Thanks for the info don!

I dove in Cozumel last April. It was great!...I do have a sausage and a whistle...It will be my daughter's first ocean experience!...Cozumel was drift diving, this obviously is not...so I'm guessing the boat anchors in one spot and we need to do the "rule of halves"? Half the air to get there half to get back minus the 700-1000psi for ascent with a possible buddy if they run out and I'm sharing. So basically turning on 2000psi. I think for the first dive we will hang out near the boat and make sure my daughter is comfortable. She is junior certified. At this moment I'm not really comfortable going below 40 or 50 feet with her. I hope that is not a problem with the dive masters..I'm sure I can just stay above them and follow them if I have to "stick with the group".

Any and all advise is welcome!...Don't worry I have no ego!.....So bring it on if you have any advise about diving with kids, dive masters in that area, great dives sites, do and don'ts etc!

DandyDon:
These suggestions from above look good....

I certainly would not count on buying there. Take everything you need, then buy souvenirs.

Have you ever been ocean diving? Got a Safety Sausage, Storm Whistle, Mirror - just in case? (Here I go again, upsetting the newbie!)

xmas-smiley-025.gif

I went to FIBR this August -- no mosquito problems at all, though I still did a full cycle of chloroquine. Noseeums were only an issue one evening, sitting outside watching the fire dancers.
An excellent time, overall, definitely a mix of things to help keep non-divers happy.

I don't care for Deets, (I did get a rash from something I used on vacation back east, could of been deets, who knows)......don't like the chemicals and certainly don't want to do it if it isn't good for the reef...Someone told me the hotel has a great oil that they sell that works well...I think I have some bio-degradable stuff too...I will take a couple options and see what works...I could eat a bunch of garlic!..haha...of course I won't have any dive buddies....haha

beautybelow:
If you are that sensitive to other things, I would be careful about over using something like deet. Covering up may be a better idea. Mosquitos where I am here are only really an issue early in the evening and in some shady areas where there is little wind. There are probably a lot of areas like that at Fantasy Island though.
Like some people have mentioned too, deet isn't all that good for the reef.
Whatever you do, just come and enjoy...I think the sandflys will be your biggest bug problem.

Juli-Mermaid:
I dove in Cozumel last April. It was great!...I do have a sausage and a whistle...It will be my daughter's first ocean experience!...Cozumel was drift diving, this obviously is not...so I'm guessing the boat anchors in one spot and we need to do the "rule of halves"? Half the air to get there half to get back minus the 700-1000psi for ascent with a possible buddy if they run out and I'm sharing. So basically turning on 2000psi. I think for the first dive we will hang out near the boat and make sure my daughter is comfortable. She is junior certified. At this moment I'm not really comfortable going below 40 or 50 feet with her. I hope that is not a problem with the dive masters..I'm sure I can just stay above them and follow them if I have to "stick with the group".

Any and all advise is welcome!...Don't worry I have no ego!.....So bring it on if you have any advise about diving with kids, dive masters in that area, great dives sites, do and don'ts etc!
With the multi-level nature of the dives, we turned on 1500#, still surfaced with 500# after an inclined trip back and safety stop.

Normally you dive as a group, with the same DM & Captain all week, tip at the end of the week. If you don't want to follow the DM, be sure to disucss this with him. You can dive on the channel wreck there and nearby wall anytime, and a dockhand may be able to run you over in a dingy savig you the walk. I think it'd be safer to dive with a DM, tho.

Who's running the Dive Shack there now? Still Robert? Find him the first day and chat with him about your desires.

mixed-smiley-020.gif

I do believe Robert was his name. Night dives are a ball, visiting the aircraft -- saw a big old slipper lobster, eels, other critters.

markfm:
I do believe Robert was his name. Night dives are a ball, visiting the aircraft -- saw a big old slipper lobster, eels, other critters.
Robert was my captina on my first trip there, Sept 01. Glad he's still there. Willy was my DM then, on my second trip he ran the dive shack while Robert was ill, but I heard he's gone.

They do use part time, altho good, DMs, but Robert and some of the others are regular employees.

On Fantasy Island, I did not see one mosquito... Why? Plenty of bats to keep them at bay!!!! No-See-Umms, bad in late afternoon till about midnight.

The DM's are great and very friendly. The boats go out three times a day... try to dive the same boat the whole trip... they'll remember you and also they won't repeat dives.

The reef is right off shore, the closest dive site on the boat is about 5 min. ride. (the longest--Mary's Place-- was about 45 min. ride.) The boats are very slow but comfortable and plenty of space.

****Please check out all the sites off the Gazebo... I believe the Viz is best on out going tide? Check out the Prince Albert and the plane. Imust urge you to snorkel across to the Coco view side if it's sunny, great shallow reef. I regret not spending enough time off the Gazebo!!!

havnmonkey:
On Fantasy Island, I did not see one mosquito... Why? Plenty of bats to keep them at bay!!!! No-See-Umms, bad in late afternoon till about midnight.
Yeah, if you eat lunch in the outdoor cafe and see bats in the ceiling, it really is okay. If they fly, it's okay. I never heard of one pooping on anyone, and they do eat a lot of skeeters.

I think the worst I got skeeter bit was after a sundown dive on the wreck. I went back to the gazebo to phone for the dingy and got a lot of bites. I bet you would have noticed some if you weren't spraying for no-seeums.

Remember that the animals are kinda used to people, but probly won't let you get too close. Don't try. If you see any on the ground that doesn't run away, leave it alone and report it. Oh, and carry a flashlight walking on the beach at night. I didn't at first and wondered about the crunching under my shoes. When I did carry a light, I was able to avoid stepping on the hermit crabs that come out of the trees at night to forage the beach. :blush:

The DM's are great and very friendly. The boats go out three times a day... try to dive the same boat the whole trip... they'll remember you and also they won't repeat dives.

The reef is right off shore, the closest dive site on the boat is about 5 min. ride. (the longest--Mary's Place-- was about 45 min. ride.) The boats are very slow but comfortable and plenty of space.
Did they take you to West End by van and meet the boat there?
****Please check out all the sites off the Gazebo... I believe the Viz is best on out going tide? Check out the Prince Albert and the plane. Imust urge you to snorkel across to the Coco view side if it's sunny, great shallow reef. I regret not spending enough time off the Gazebo!!!
You snorkled to the CCV side of the channel and dived the reef there? I've heard their side is better.

poze.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom