Has anyone been griefed for their BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not yet, but I expect to get a few comments the next time I go to my LDS with a wing I bought over the *gasp* internet.

Sean, does you LDS carry wings? If not tell them if they had some you might have gotten them from them.

My LDS does not carry backplates or wings. When I was first researching BP/Ws I asked them if they knew much about it. They told me their mostly used by tech divers and so on. However, they didn't try to convince me the BCD's they sell are better.

Another semi-local store does sell Halcyon and OMS but not Oxycheq. They could probably order one for me though. Whether they will sell it for cheaper than Scubatoys is a different matter.

ok, regress to 7th grade. a dance. on one side are people in tec configuration, studiously ignoring the people on the other side of the room in jacket bc & rec regs.

how do each feel about the people in the middle, either bp/w and rec regs or bc & bungee necklace or some other hybrid config?

i ask because i was one last weekend, buddied with another, and we acknowledged that we felt a bit uncomfortable with what each side of the others might be thinking. what if they were talking about us behind the gym?

we finally embraced our strokeness, but it surprised me that i cared a bit what others might be thinking.

but I've sure caught the dickens from some over using my jacket.. I just smile and go about my merry way.

BabyDuck:
we finally embraced our strokeness, but it surprised me that i cared a bit what others might be thinking.
Trust me, you can see a bit of everything at Ginnie Springs on any given weekend, i doubt anyone looked over and wondered what your hybrid set up was all about :wink:

BabyDuck:
how do each feel about the people in the middle, either bp/w and rec regs or bc & bungee necklace or some other hybrid config?

this sort of mentality i don't understand. i do what i do because it makes
sense to me. if it allows me to dive better and easier, i won't be too proud to say,
"you know what, you're right."

on the other hand, no matter how cool it looks or how "in" it is, if it doesn't work
for me, sorry, i'm not using it.

the test is this: does the equipment/configuration make me a safer, more efficient
diver? if yes, i'm all for it.

if not, then no way. what the "in" crowd at any one given time/place thinks is
not relevant.

I did my OW dives on the Island of Nevis. It's a 3rd world country. They had NO problem with my BP/wings-in fact, they never mentioned a thing about it. We contacted them in advance to make sure it was all right, and they responded-"We don't certify you based on the equipment you own"

Your DM should take some lessons from the third world.....

I sold many of the BP/W combos to my customers and store students over the last while, the most grief came from the other LDS telling them horror stories and such, many of the students now will not charter or participate with them now because of the misinformation given to them, and even more that that LDS now sells the bungied Dive rite version as DIR complient. The last foreign Country I visited with my BP/W was the US and only had lots of people ask questions. :D

Back
Top Bottom