Has anyone been griefed for their BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nope... no grief on my bp/wings, though on two occassions i've had comments
on my long hose

1. (despite the fact that the long hose was clipped safely out of the way) "you're
going to strangle yourself with that thing." i laughed.

2. an older diver (actually awesome under water) never said anything to me, but
kept saying to another diver "look at the size of that hose" and shaking his head.
i actually wanted to explain why i dove the long hose, but i let it go.

steelslinger:
Though you never presented your self as a tek guy, your gear denotes you as one. Technical divers don’t want help and like to be left alone in general. They have very specific configurations in their gear and don’t like anyone to mess with them or their gear due to safety concerns. Your gear will cause boat crews to avoid helping you unless you ask for it. When you need help just ask, I am sure they will be happy to help.

Steel,

I think you might have a valid point here. The only stuff I have that isn't the typical OW recreational gear is my backplate and my DUI weight harness. I prefer to set up my own gear, and generally like to be left to my own devices, but I don't get on the boat crew for helping me out, and esp on a rolling boat I like a hand putting on my rig.

I guess I was mostly put off by what came across to me as hostility.

Wijbrandus:
I guess I was mostly put off by what came across to me as hostility.

it's certainly not personal. the guy has either had bad experiences with the wrong
sort of tek diver, or he's just hostile to the concept for a number of reasons.

not much you can do but shrug it off, not let it ruin your day. there's buttholes
everywhere.

(drumroll)

i am .... living proof of that?

:D

Good point. I'm already over it, and the diving was incredible.

Nothing like a great dive to make you forget what is ultimately just a little thing.

Unfortunately there are quite a few divers around that use a long hose and don't take care with it on boats that are bouncing around in rough conditions.
I've personally witnessed long hose divers alienate whole groups of divers by letting their long hose trail behind them while moving around on the boat or leaving it looped on the deck while setting up and tripping people up.
These other rec divers, that had never seen a long hose before in their lives, started to associate long hose divers with idiots.

How did we mutate from backplate/wing to long hose? What's next... a rant about DIR? :D

BTW... not a discouraging word was heard about my BP/Wing in Fiji.

Uncle Pug:
How did we mutate from backplate/wing to long hose? What's next... a rant about DIR? :D

BTW... not a discouraging word was heard about my BP/Wing in Fiji.

It's in the 1st post...

Wijbrandus:
..snip..
With the rolling, it's a bit of a challenge, and the DM sees me struggling with a hose. ..snip..

At least that's what I and the other posters assumed. People don't normally struggle with short hoses. :wink:

I haven't heard any discouraging words at all. All of the words I've heard have been interest about how I manage to look so good :wink:

"I haven't heard any discouraging words at all. All of the words I've heard have been interest about how I manage to look so good
03.gif
"

:wallywink

Oh, geeeeezzzzzzzzzz, please spare me !!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom