Has anyone been griefed for their BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear about your experiance. I suppose it might be a lil better now than what it was a few years ago. I wonder if he would consider a Zeagle Tech a "Tech BC"

Alright, NOW how did this thread mutate from BP/W to long hose to banana hammocks (just looked at what I typed, and it's kinda funny).

Anyway, I haven't traveled with my BP/W yet, but locally, I just get some questions, etc. about it. Everyone's more interested by knowing that, along with them, I dive locally.

3dent:
If I ever get buddied with a HUB-user, I'm afraid the pre-dive gear familiarity briefing could take a while...
Just pull on every available bit of velcro and something is bound to fall out that could be of use if not you could suggest that they compare notes with the new "stow and go" type mini-vans that seem to have just started to come out - all sorts of places for hiding things in there. :wink:

ShakaZulu:
It's simple, as a diver with a TEK setup, the REC guys on the boat woudn't know how to deal with your equipment configuration during emergency conditions..........

I think with a wing setup, it's actually easier to see where things are. The only risk would be if a rescue diver filled a wing to bursting at the surface it could slam the rescued diver face down in the water.

Nowadays there are so many types of integrated weight fixings in jacket BCs that they are more complicated to deal with. Some pull up, down, backwards, forwards, some have clips, others single velcro, others double velcro.

ShakaZulu:
It's simple, as a diver with a TEK setup, the REC guys on the boat woudn't know how to deal with your equipment configuration during emergency conditions..........
Good point, and it would even be relevant if the diver in question had a "TEK" setup (tek? what exactly does that mean anyway?)

Unfortunately, the diver in question had a recreational gear configuration.

miketsp:
The only risk would be if a rescue diver filled a wing to bursting at the surface it could slam the rescued diver face down in the water.
Of course this is as opposed to filling up a jacket BC to bursting on the surface and crushing the victim's lungs so that they couldnt expand when you gave them rescue breaths :wink:

Never seen this, done the exact same thing many times and not been dunked, but i prefer to inflate and use it in a relaxing easy chair style position - far prefered over little head bobbing above the surface. You dont get dunked with a full wing - dubunking modern myths 101 :wink:

Perhaps the first DM didn't know how to deal with the equipment and therefore referred to it as "technical." Maybe more a matter of his incompetence or ignorance. I wouldn't give a second thought to someone with a BP/W although I prefer a soft backpack and wing over a plate.

Dr. Bill

I received a fair amount of 'good natured' jokes on the dive boats in hawaii last october. In general, commentary was:

from newbie divers with <20 dives:
- isn't that heavy?
- Doesn't the plate/bolt hurt ?
- why is your reg hose so long, doesn't it get in the way?
For these, I answer the questions & shared what I thought the advantages of my set-up were.

from the crew:
- Oh Jeez here's a tech guy, stand back
- look at those fins! (my 30 yr old jets with spring straps)

For the DM's, I just took it all & let my skills in the water do my talking for me. Before the dives I told the DM's that I prefer to set up my own gear which they accomodated.

jonnythan:
I exaggerate, and I'm more or less kidding, but in all honesty, the only comments I've heard about my bp/wing have been to the effect of "that looks cool, what is it?" and "how do you manage to look so clean and streamlined underwater? You have more gear than I do!"

and:

"you soo hansom"

"you big strong man"

cancun mark:
and:

"you soo hansom"

"you big strong man"
Well I figured that I'd leave our personal conversations out of the thread.. I don't want to reveal your 'secrets' :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom