Has a mask strap ever broken on you while diving?

Has a mask strap ever broken on you while diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a slap strap, no breaking so far, but I have had the mask kicked off not long after my initial training. No I stay just out of fin kick, unless I am after a student jetting to the surface.

"Yes, and it was in the open with no restrictions and no abrasive overheads." Technically, the strap didn't break, but the mechanism on the Cressi mask that holds the post onto which the strap attaches fell apart, but for all intents and purposes it was a mask strap failure.

Spare mask in BC pocket allowed me to 1) see, 2) find broken mask and all parts on seafloor for recovery, and 3) continue the dive merrily.

Solo diver. No buddy assistance wanted or needed for this event, and no dive abort either.

Twice. The first time I was diving a spot I only get access to once a year. I had just spotted a species I had not yet captured on videotape when the strap broke. Since I had my videocamera rolling, I just pressed it more tightly against the mask and that held it in place until after I finished filming about 11 min later. I wear a hooded vest with the strap under the hood... just for situations like this. It kept the mask "in place" (well, kind of) which made this easier.

The only other time I had a mask strap break (same mask) I was just getting ready to enter the water so I only had to go back up to the Dr. Bill Mobile and grab a replacement.

On my first dive with a hood I noticed my mask leaking much more than normal. I had to clear it about every 30 seconds or so. We were diving on the Dixie Arrow off Hatteras at about 90fsw, and we had just made our way back to the anchor line for the last ten minutes of our dive. I cleared the mask again and it came off in my hands. No panic--I just wondered how I was going to hold my mask, hang on to the anchor line, and control my buoyancy with only two hands and my eyes closed (I wear contacts). With my eyes closed, I felt the strap against the back of my hand, so I reinstalled the mask, cleared it, and inadvertently cured the mask leak at the same time. Seems I had put the mask strap over the crown of my head and didn't feel it because of the presence of the hood. That's why it leaked so much, and that's why it came off in my hand. Lesson learned! Never did I panic, and I tell my students about this event every time I can. I'm just glad I learned very well how to breathe underwater with my mask off and not pinching my nose.

My strap broke on my checkout dive for OW. Technically it didn't break, the strap came off the keeper. It was OLD. I didn't notice at first, just trying not to drown on my first dive. My instructor noticed it wasn't attached on that side, she swam over and held out her hands, in the "give it to me" pose. I politely denied. She signaled again to give it up, and at that moment I knew I was going to have to give it up. I mustered up the courage to loosen the suction, flood it, remove it and handed it to her. She threaded the strap back through the keeper, and gave it back to me. I put it back on, cleared it and carried on.

This doesn't seem like a big deal, I had done it in the pool, and the day before as part of my checkout. But this was an equipment failure. Being able to do that, I thought I just won the Gold in the Mask Failure Olympics.

I had every intention of continuing the dive with my hand on my mask, but she wouldn't let me. And I'm glad.

I don't think this counts, but prepping to shore dive at the Blue Heron Bridge last year, the pin on my mask strap worked its way out. I took out my knife and proceeded to use the pointy end to poke the pin back in the hole. Sure enough, I slipped, cut my finger. Went back to the truck, duck taped the cut, put on a nitrile glove and taped it at the wrist for minimal water intrusion, then donned my gloves. Continued on......

Apparently my mask causes more serious injury than any sea creature ever could. So Far.

I've never had one break in the water, but a few months ago I did have a strap break as I put it on at the edge of the water. I pulled out a back up, stuffed the broken one in my pocket, and went diving.

No, & I've used some very old ones......

Kinda like asking 'you ever have a blowout while riding down the road?'...answer 'no. & I've driven on some very bad ,bald, tires'....

My 12 year old son and I were doing our checkout dives together. His strap broke while I was being tested. He calmly showed the instructor, switched masks with the instructor, and carried on for the rest of the dive. I stopped worrying quite so much after that incident ... and so far he has proven to be a calm and methodical diver. The praise from the instructor was a great confidence builder for him as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom