Has a mask strap ever broken on you while diving?

Has a mask strap ever broken on you while diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one come unhooked from the mounting point on the mask. No way I could reattach underwater. I also had more than one mask come away from the frame due to rough handling.

Assuming this was a statistically valid poll, it looks like there should not be much concern for straps since more than 80% have not seen any strap failures while diving. This could a bit misleading since slap straps are somewhat popular these days and they seem to be used specifically for avoiding mask strap failures.

On the other hand, it does seem that carrying a spare mask is a good idea since more than half (52%+) have experienced either an unexpected mask removal or a strap failure.

Had one strap snap underwater on me. Was guiding a dive, just pulled mask away from face slightly to clear it and strap went. Continued dive holding in onto my face. It "worked" ok without holding it but as i tend to breathe out through my nose a fair but it got loose. And on ascent it had to be helped or reduced pressure would pop it off. Had a backup but didnt bother changing to it as wanted to see if it could be done without. Answer is yes but it quite often removes 1 hand from you which cant be used for other stuff.

Ive also had a lens fall out completely underwater on a dive. That took a minute or 2 to work out as all i had was a constantly flooding mask until i realised the gaping hole my finger was fitting through. Deployed backup for that one.

Had it "removed" by buddys feet a few times as well especially in strong currents when one of us grabs something to stop when we see something interesting.

I had it happen twice in two days. I was having a bad mask week. Both times happened while adjusting the mask underwarter. The masks I use come with a thin strap. Since then I outfit all my masks with a nylon strap that has a neoprene head peace. Never had an issue since.

I used to use mares X-vision two-windows masks. Both of them suffered the same eventual failure: one of the lenses de-laminated mid dive.
Interesting, because I use Mares X-vision masks. Has anybody else had this problem?

I take good care of my masks, and they aren't cheap.
What do you use now? How do they compare to the X-vision? Presumably they are less prone to lens de-lamination, but otherwise?

Never had a mask strap break.

I have been kicked in the face by buddy divers' fins but kept it on.

Interesting, because I use Mares X-vision masks. Has anybody else had this problem?

What do you use now? How do they compare to the X-vision? Presumably they are less prone to lens de-lamination, but otherwise?

It was my X-vision the lens fell out of mid dive.

I had one break topside before the dive but it was the plastic part of the mask that the strap connects too. I replace all rubber straps with a nylon strap, where the only part that flexes is the middle pad. I also carry a spare mask on all solo dives and most all cave dives.

I use Cressi 'Big Eye' masks. The strap attachments are pathetic. They fall apart quite easily, which leaves your mask strap unattached. Not a mask strap failure exactly, but the same result. This happened to me on more than 4 occasions.

5197609959_de8f675c46_z.jpg

The replacement kits are relatively expensive. I replaced a broken one just once. When it broke again, I found a better solution...
cressi-buckle-big-eyes.jpg

Instead, I got a slap strap and threaded it directly through the hole where the swivel bolts once were. It is now unbreakable (1000+ dives and going strong as it is).

mastrap-mask_display.jpg

If I found the designer of this mask, I would kick him sharply in the balls. It's a great mask design (I have 3)... but the overly complicated, fiddly and self-disassembling strap retaining system is a complete disaster.

It never happen to me that the strap broke either but i had issues where other parts broke. be prepared for anything so my recommendation (its might sound anal but if its makes your diving safer its worth it dont you think?) slap a pocket or two on the legs of your wetsuit where you can carry an extra mask, plus safety sausage, torch for deeper day dives or night dives, fish guide slates etc. also if you decide to continue with technical diving this is something that is not only useful its neccessary to have back ups for anything that can break (and it does break). just an idea!

kind regards
jonas samuelsson
technical diving instructor trainer / cave instructor / padi course director
jonas@techkohtao.com
AWARD WINNING PADI IDC AND TECHNICAL DIVING
Welcome to Blue immersion
dahab, egypt - koh tao, thailand, eilat, israel
-------------------------------------------

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom