• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DGX $29 mask is awesome!

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by stuartv, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    That is indeed a common problem. We like to say "the best mask is the one that fits YOUR face best" and that it's important to try on a number of masks to find one that fits best, but dive shops only stock so many. Fortunately, most online retailers have generous return policies. I have at times ordered multiple items and returned the ones that didn't fit or otherwise suit me.

Good luck with the Atomic Venom--it's pricey, but if it fits your face well ....

Melanie White likes this.
  2. Schwob

Schwob Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Great original post.

A general understanding kind of questions to this follow-up to ALL (not just to @stuartv ) & hopefully someone optically inclined:

So it's a mask with a black skirt (which should help with reflections in itself - no?)

That being the case, what would be the practical differences one would / could / might observe between the Anti-reflective coated version and the non-AR-coated (plain?) version?

Could the would an AR coating really help with reflections beyond what the black mask does?
    Would the coating be on the inside or outside of the mask glass?
    Might it cause scratch resistance to decrease?
    If on the inside might it reduce or increase likelihood of fogging up?
    Would it reduce light transmission (hey, that could matter in those deep, dark places (where reflection is not a concern anyway)?

3. EdC

EdC Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have the same masks but unfortunately in reverse order.

I was diving the DGX and loved it, but I needed correction. I went ahead and ordered the Seavision Ultra and initially I really liked how clear everything is both near and far. The only problem is I always have this small puddle in the nose pocket and unfortunately usually covering the readers. No amount of clearing seems to help, I always get the same amount of leakage and no more. I am ready to take your advice and add readers if I cant see the Perdix without them.

4. RTC'83

RTC'83 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Just wondering if you know how secure the hydro tac lens will be after repeated dives and getting wet? I do need my readers.

5. taimen

taimen Manta Ray

@EdC I bought a Seavision Ultra with presription but it leaks too much.
    I then ordered Seavision lenses to a TUSA Freedom Ceos which is dry and comfortable.
    Now I mostly dive with contact lenses, but for practices with a lot of mask removals and sometimes some bigger dives I choose the prescrption mask.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    EdC likes this.
  6. 49north

49north DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    We bought the DGX frameless masks a couple of years ago to keep as backups. After the first try, they became our main masks.

We also bought one of the Ren Gauge reader masks to try. It works well too and seems to be quite low volume. Haven’t used it much since getting our Perdixes as they are very easy to read with middle age eyes.

7. gcarter

gcarter Orca

I have been rocking one of those for a couple of years now and love it. Much better field of view than my Tusa, and I will never go back to a clear skirt either. Comfortable and leak free.

stuartv likes this.
  8. peterak

peterak Nassau Grouper

I unfortunately have the same problem with the DGX mask. My not small nose does not protrude far enough into the nose pocket to allow a good grip of the nose for equalizing. Must be a face shape thing. I really wanted this mask to work for me.

taimen likes this.
  9. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

I use black skirts for exactly that reason. Less ambient light coming in to light up what is inside the mask. I figure it's like any window. If you want to see what's outside, you turn off the lights inside. Otherwise, whatever is lit up inside just reflects back off the glass. Look out a window of your house, at night, with the inside lights on and off. You know what I mean. Thus, I figure the less useless ambient light coming into my mask, the better. And, by "useless", I mean light that doesn't let you see anything - like the light that comes through a clear mask skirt.

Plus, clear skirts eventually get yellowish. Black is always black.

As for the AR coating, my thought is this: I have seen plenty of normal eyeglasses with AR coatings that do not reduce light transmission. However, I don't *think* the AR coating on the DGX AR mask is the same. For one thing, they specifically say the lens looks colored. So, my expectation is that the DGX mask does reduce light transmission somewhat. However, I have the Seavision magenta and yellow lenses and they obviously also reduce light transmission somewhat. But, it has never been enough to bother me. On a night dive, yes, I will use a clear lens. On any kind of normal day dive, the small reduction is not enough to make me change what mask I would wear.

I do think it's likely that the AR coating will be more sensitive to getting scratched. But, I am also assuming it's on the inside of the mask, so it should be pretty easy to just not let it get scratched. And, when it does eventually get scratched enough to bother me, well, it was only $29....

I used Hydro-Tac lenses on my Atomic mask before I got the Seavision masks. Looking back at my log, that means I used them for roughly 20 dives, over a period of 4 or 5 months. I used the regular Hydro-Tac lenses you can get at Walmart - not the "scuba" ones that are bigger and cost twice as much. For me, the regular ones were a good size. I would not want them to be any bigger. Once I put them on my mask, they had a chance to dry for several days before I dived with them. They never moved during the entire time I used them. I think putting them on and letting them dry REALLY well (at LEAST 24 hours and 48 is probably better) is the key. Making sure the mask lens is perfectly clean before installing the Hydro-Tacs is probably also important.

10. lv2dive

lv2dive Formerly known as KatePNAtl Staff Member

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Great review Stuart. I especially like how you separated the review into shorter and longer versions. I was not sure why/how a mask review post was that long, but I have to admit it was worth the read!

stuartv likes this.