Hanging bottles underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Captdale - when you drop a hose what is it connected to? a tank on the boat or something else? just curious because 20' of hose seems long to me.

Cheers P

The only time I've ever seen one was on my AOW deep dive, tied onto the descent/ascent line hanging from the float at 15ft. I agree with other posters that for shallower dives, there's probably not much point and may give some people a false sense of security (feel like they can breathe their tank lower, eg.). For liveaboards and deeper dives, though, if the option is there, may as well have it for possible accidental deco obligations, though I don't think people should be allowing themselves to get to a point where they need it (Murphy will be waiting for them with an empty or in-use tank when they do).

I carry my emergency 19 cf with me, so I won't have to find the boat in an emergency - nor compete with divers already on a hang tank.

I find this practice counterproductive. The proper solution to low on gas scenarios and underweighting is learning gasmanagement and correct weighting, not treating the effects of failing to do so.

Best,
Bjørn

Bear in mind... this is a 'solution' that is provided by dive operations/boats. Those operations/boats aren't in control of the quality standards of the customers they cater to.

It's contingency planning by providers, rather than users.

If an individual diver was considering an optimum plan for ensuring gas redundancy and/or sufficient gas to cope with reasonable contingencies - then opting to hang a tank for themselves would have a lot more cons than pros. Especially when compared with the obvious alternative: carrying ensuring appropriate redundancy and sufficient gas volume on their person during the entire dive.

The hanging bottle is not "spare air" for out of air emergencies, it is a contigency resource for safety stops and unintended deco situations.

Bear in mind... this is a 'solution' that is provided by dive operations/boats. Those operations/boats aren't in control of the quality standards of the customers they cater to.

It's contingency planning by providers, rather than users.
Dennis and Andy have covered it. It's not for out-of-air emergencies, and it's not the best solution for the individual diver who carefully plans his dive and adheres to his plan. But if you have 18 divers of varying skill and training who will do 4 or 5 dives a day for a week, anything you do to ensure they do their safety stops is probably good insurance against having to interrupt the trip for a chamber run.

Hi Captdale - when you drop a hose what is it connected to? a tank on the boat or something else? just curious because 20' of hose seems long to me.

Cheers P

The hose is a green welding gas hose and it is connected to a welding regulator mounted to an oxygen storage bottle in the foreward compartment of the boat. The hose runs through an old hawse pipe which is no longer used for the anchor line. I installed a new hawse pipe when I put an electric anchor winch on the deck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom