Hand-Tight Second Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have it on all places that use a gas input.

I have dove in many places with high flow and still could breathe fine. I have not seen a reason to remove them yet. :)

What fitting are you using on your second stage? Part #/source?

Well, Joe, if you really want to get into the isolator debate, we can do that. I've got nothing to do all day, and I'm here to party. Let me know, I'll be around.

As far as adding a quick disconnect, how often do you need to quickly disconnect a 2nd stage? What condition do you encounter that requires that option? If you can't disconnect it quickly and you need to, what happens? For me, leaving a disconnect (and all the business that goes along with it) out of the equation and taking a small wrench that rarely gets used makes the most sense. If a 2nd stage fails, I can still access all my backgas without even missing a beat.

What condition do you encounter that requires that option?

I can see a value in it for CCR. Both my O2 and Dil already have inflator quick connects. Although I do carry bailout, the ability to have access to the onboard for OC bailout gas has merit. Granted, the onboard gas is minimal, and there are other ways it could be accessed, but in an Oh Sh!t situation every option helps and you can never have too much gas.

I had a hand-tight reg go into free flow. I couldn't tighten it enough by hand to stop the free flow. "Hand tight" is a stupid idea.

I had a hand-tight reg go into free flow. I couldn't tighten it enough by hand to stop the free flow. "Hand tight" is a stupid idea.

Uh, i dont think regs work like that... Can you elaborate a bit?

Well, Joe, if you really want to get into the isolator debate, we can do that. I've got nothing to do all day, and I'm here to party. Let me know, I'll be around.

As far as adding a quick disconnect, how often do you need to quickly disconnect a 2nd stage? What condition do you encounter that requires that option? If you can't disconnect it quickly and you need to, what happens? For me, leaving a disconnect (and all the business that goes along with it) out of the equation and taking a small wrench that rarely gets used makes the most sense. If a 2nd stage fails, I can still access all my backgas without even missing a beat.

If you had sidemount tanks... then you would not have access to all of your gas if a 2nd stage diaphragm rips.

In your individual case, QDs would not serve you well. As such you should not use them... well, until you get JJ to sell you an RB80... then you can buy some and use them like me... :cool2:

If you had sidemount tanks... then you would not have access to all of your gas if a 2nd stage diaphragm rips.

There is always the option of swapping first stages underwater. :)

In your individual case, QDs would not serve you well. As such you should not use them... well, until you get JJ to sell you an RB80... then you can buy some and use them like me... :cool2:

Well ya, if I had an RB80, I'd be QC6'd out on all my bottles :wink:

Uh, i dont think regs work like that... Can you elaborate a bit?

Obviously, they do work like that.

I rotated a "hand tight" reg on its swivel and it went into free flow. I went through all of the usual things to stop free flow, but nothing worked. I discovered that the "hand tight" reg was frankly loose, and when I tighted it the free flow slowed. Couldn't get it tight enough by hand to stop the free flow entirely.

Once topside, I verified that all it needed was the turn of a wrench to keep it from free flowing. Loose = free flow, tight = no free flow.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom