Hand-Tight Second Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

Could someone explain the reasoning behind the idea of leaving second stages only hand tight?
Sounds like an out dated practice to mee...

.... We keep our 2nd stages hand tight on all regs.
jpg[/IMG]

.... I stopped doing that about a decade ago after I had one come partially unscrewed and extrude the o-ring. Feathering the valve for the entire deco was required and I still lost a lot of gas...

Seems like common sense to keep them tight...

The idea was that a second stage that was full of silt, had a hole in the diaphragm, etc could be quickly swapped with one off another reg underwater. It's one of those ideas that sounded good but wasn't.

Then there was the crowd who advocated removeable covers so that silt, rocks, etc could be cleared underwater. That idea is just as dumb but still has ardent supporters. How well it works in the real world varies with the design of the purge cover, and even at best, assuming parts don't float away in open water or get lost in no viz conditons in a cave or wreck, diaphragms that are assembled wet have a bad habit of unseating, and the result will be an unbreatheable reg requiring you to do it all over again.

Prevention makes a lot more sense and if you are going to dive in conditions that severe, then bagging the reg in a nylon stocking prevents any issues with gravel in the reg anyway.

The modern counterpart to swapping second stages is the idea of swapping an entire first and second stage in water. If you really need to do that, you've already either had multiple failures or badly screwed up the gas planning and contingency planning.

I've found that most thinking divers at some point in their careers stop listening to "experts" and start thinking through advice, techniques, etc to see what really makes sense versus what does not.

Seems like common sense to keep them tight...

DA pretty well covered the basic premise.

I think this comes back to a topic I broached a while back about correlations between mechanical aptitude and tech diving. The more a diver is pushing the envelope the more I feel they need to understand their gear, the way it works, the way it fails and how to fix it.

The vast majority of us, this concept is probably doesn't apply. If you're doing staged penetration and navigating narrow or silty restrictions where the possibility of gear failure is greater and options are limited, the ability to do something of this nature becomes more attractive. IMO, people in that position need to be more intimately familiar with their gear and how to field repair it than someone who spends all their time on the mainline in big cave.

+1 on the wrench. Having been trained to leave regs finger tight in the beginning days of my tech training, I can tell you that extruding O-rings, loose hoses and second stages just coming right off the hoses are common. Of course, the good news was you could just screw them back on, but still ... :no:

Just rinse and lubricate a wrench after every dive. While needing to fix things underwater is rare, you have the option. But, having spare O-rings and a wrench saves you a trip back to your save a dive kit when you are doing pre-dive safety checks in water or the need to climb back on the boat to fix a minor O-ring or loose hose problem.

The hand tight thing only works if you're real diligent about checking each and every reg before every dive. Keeping an adjustable wrench in your pocket is a MUCH (I can't emphasize that enough) better option.

Btw, I've had to clear out debris from a 2nd stage underwater before. I guess that "dumb" idea is at least good enough to save a dive. I've also had to swap out a 2nd stage underwater using a wrench. I guess I'm just an ardent supporter of a dumb idea...

I've found that most thinking divers at some point in their careers stop listening to "experts" and start thinking through advice, techniques, etc to see what really makes sense versus what does not.

I hate it when people subscribe to a certain philosophy,and it can't be altered or changed unless it is done by the leadership of said philosophy. This takes away innovation by people challanging the intergrity of the philosophy,and improving the systems. If it is claimed that one system works for all things,then critical thinking sure needs to apply.

the wrench has saved a number of dives. as well as unscrewing faceplates on second stages.
in the real world. not just on the internet

One time that I didn't have a wrench when I needed it and sparked me to always carry one was when my girlfriend was changing her hoses back to doubles from a single tank set-up she was using for an open water course. We just reached the Keystorm when he long hose unscrewed at the first stage. She had forgotten to tighten it with a wrench. I had a really hard time trying to tighten it with my fingers after shutting it down. We ended up getting back on board and I needed to apply lots of force to the wrench to turn it. Her routing and wing applied so much pressure to the hose no wonder I couldn't get it while submerged. After that ... wrench. Always carry the wrench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom