Hand signal to end/terminate dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have decided to do a safety stop then IMO it is treated no differently than a deco stop and is not to be skipped barring some sort of medical emergency.
I wouldn’t be so absolute with not skipping a Safety Stop. By definition, they are optional. If you decided to do a safety stop, you should do it, but I would have no problems skipping it depending on the actual dive parameters, and circumstances, that may warrant skipping.

I wouldn’t be so absolute with not skipping a Safety Stop. By definition, they are optional. If you decided to do a safety stop, you should do it, but I would have no problems skipping it depending on the actual dive parameters, and circumstances, that may warrant skipping.
for example?

My gang all do the international "clutch of a beer bottle" sign. It works.

In Sydney, the accepted signals, at least for the past 34 years I have been diving and with the people I dive with are:
  1. Ascend now to finish dive - Thumb up
  2. Ascend to descend to a different depth - Hand flat but slightly angled up or down
  3. Turn around - Finger pointing up and moved in a circle
  4. Boat is there - Fingers touching in the shape of an arrow and point to the direction
  5. Safety stop or stay at this level - Flat hand, palm down, waved a little left to right and so on
  6. I'm ascending (after finishing safety stop) - Point at myself and then thumb up

for example?
Current picks up, and is going to push you far from the boat. Aggressive marine life. Weather picks up, and you get a recall signal from the boat. Could be more.

In these cases, I would likely consult my computer and choose to skip if SurfGF looks OK.

Current picks up, and is going to push you far from the boat. Aggressive marine life. Weather picks up, and you get a recall signal from the boat. Could be more.

In these cases, I would likely consult my computer and choose to skip if SurfGF looks OK.

current picks up-you are either hanging onto the anchor line or are free and boat is following you, not a good excuse for blowing off safety stop
aggressive marine life-probably "shark"-"f*cked"-double thumb surface. This is more impending medical emergency so that wraps into that one.
recall signal from the boat is a recall signal from the boat and you follow it, but it's not a hand signal for ignore the safety stop so much as just another signal to surface after the recall signal comes out.

You can come up with any scenario you want to blow off a safety stop, but I don't think it is worth having any sort of confusion about the thumb signals meaning and have 18 different signals to end a dive.

current picks up-you are either hanging onto the anchor line or are free and boat is following you, not a good excuse for blowing off safety stop
Depends on how and where you dive. I do frequently use the anchor line, but not always possible based on the site. Often come up free. I agree, though, if there is a line to hold onto, then no reason to skip the stop.
aggressive marine life-probably "shark"-"f*cked"-double thumb surface. This is more impending medical emergency so that wraps into that one.
Could roll into medical.
recall signal from the boat is a recall signal from the boat and you follow it, but it's not a hand signal for ignore the safety stop so much as just another signal to surface after the recall signal comes out.

You can come up with any scenario you want to blow off a safety stop, but I don't think it is worth having any sort of confusion about the thumb signals meaning and have 18 different signals to end a dive.
I wasn’t advocating changing any signals. Just stating that there are some circumstances where skipping the Safety Stop is prudent. I’m not talking about dives where I’m riding the NDL. I’m talking about where there is plenty of buffer.

Thumbs up is clear. In the case of my recent dive, I signaled to level off at 15’, he responded by shaking his head and the thumbs up. Clear enough to me. Not changing any meanings or coming up with a new signal.

Whilst there may be reasons to blow off some decompression stops, e.g. a diver rescue, or through loss of gas (we can't fix drowning, but we potentially can fix DCI). If I'm rescuing another diver, how much personal risk I am happy to expose myself too? For my partner, a lot, for some insta' buddy, a lot less.

There's no real excuse for blowing of deco stops for current. If you are diving in tidal waters, you have a plan.
Either using Jon lines if you are using the shot, or DSMB's. In addition you should have a fixed (maximum) dive time for all divers.
For most dives, a DSMB is preferred. If it is an extreme dive with a lot of decompression, then a shot and a trapeze, You can hook in to the trapeze (with the Jon line), initially whilst you are waiting for the rest of the divers, Once you are all on the trapeze you release (the trapeze) and drift with the tide.
(The other reason for using the shot, is if you are in controlled waters. i.e. you can't drift across the harbour entrance. But special measures and permissions would apply).

If you have weather issues, once you are in the water you are not going to know. You should know about potential weather problems in advance, part of the dive planning. Generally the only thing you can do is complete any stops at 6m rather than 3m if it is getting lumpy.

A recall from the boat, is really a signal to end the dive now. You would still be expected to complete the dive safely. Even if the boat is dealing with an incident, the last thing they need are multiple further incidents caused by divers missing decompression. That would really complicate things.

Aggressive marine life, I can see the argument. Its not an issue I have had to address.

It should also be remembered that the vast majority of dive computers don't have a surfaceGF display. (The only one I am sure of are some of the Shearwaters, possibly all.)
The nearest alternate option is those who dive two computers, one with an aggressive decompression setting for emergencies, and one with a 'safe'(?) setting which they follow for the planned dive.

As @tbone1004 says. I wouldn't have a special signal for blowing off the decompression.

There's no real excuse for blowing of deco stops for current. If you are diving in tidal waters, you have a plan.
I’m not talking about required deco stops. I’m talking about optional safety stops. There is a difference.

Back
Top Bottom