Hand signal to end/terminate dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrogmanFred

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking for clarification and (hopefully) consensus on the hand signal to be used to terminate a dive. There seem to be a few options but none are, in my opinion, ideal and create a chance for miscommunication which can in turn lead to trouble underwater.

Firstly, there is the "thumbs up" signal. This can mean ascend to the surface but can also mean ascend to a shallower depth.
Secondly, the is the "time out" signal with both hand extended side-on and perpendicular to one another. However, this can also be used to signal the number 100. As in... I have 100 bar of gas left.
Thirdly, some use the arms crossed across the chest in an X sign. There is a chance that this can be interpreted as the signal for "I'm cold".

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this and which training agency (yes, I said it!) advocates which end/terminate dive signal and why. Also, are there others signs which may be more effective which could be adopted universally (no, I'm not narc'd).

Thanks!

MadMagazine-106-032.jpg

MadMagazine-106-031.jpg

To me, and how I was trained, is thumbs up always means dive over, return to the ascent point (if required), and ascend. That is how I use it and how I've always seen it used. It is not used for "move to a shallower depth". That is a different signal ... one hand, palm down, moved from one side to the other, then lifted higher and repeated. It signals the desire to move to a shallower depth and hold there.

To me, and how I was trained, is thumbs up always means dive over, return to the ascent point (if required), and ascend. That is how I use it and how I've always seen it used. It is not used for "move to a shallower depth". That is a different signal ... one hand, palm down, moved from one side to the other, then lifted higher and repeated. It signals the desire to move to a shallower depth and hold there.
A (slightly) new one to me but it makes sense. One hand palm down moved from side to side to me means level off. Lifting it higher and repeating isn't one I've seen used before. Is there a signal you use to indicate the specific depth to ascend to?

Secondly, the is the "time out" signal
Thirdly, some use the arms crossed across the chest in an X sign

Never heard of these being anything other than what you described them to be - “timeout signal” for half tank left or 1500 psi (for me) and the “x across chest“ for I’m cold (with variations of your hands either on your upper arms, maybe rubbing them or balled into fists.)

To my knowledge, the “thumbs up” technically means ascend, but in my experience is always ascending to the surface, thus ending the dive.

A (slightly) new one to me but it makes sense. One hand palm down moved from side to side to me means level off. Lifting it higher and repeating isn't one I've seen used before. Is there a signal you use to indicate the specific depth to ascend to?

If I needed to be that precise there is typically a predefined plan known to both divers. You would then ascend to the next planned depth. If it is a simple recreational dive I’d simply follow the buddy up that made the signal and level off when they do.

Sometimes with underwater communication, less is more. Honestly, some of the buddies that irritate me the most are the ones that try to communicate too much information underwater.

Firstly, there is the "thumbs up" signal. This can mean ascend to the surface but can also mean ascend to a shallower depth.
This should never mean just ascend. It means surface and end dive, which might require exiting a cave or returning to an ascent line before going up. It is a command signal.
Secondly, the is the "time out" signal with both hand extended side-on and perpendicular to one another. However, this can also be used to signal the number 100. As in... I have 100 bar of gas left
This at most means "one half" not 100.
Thirdly, some use the arms crossed across the chest in an X sign. There is a chance that this can be interpreted as the signal for "I'm cold".
As described, the arms in an X means abort, now, no questions asked, no going to a line, just go up now. It is a non-standard signal used by some dive masters. If you are cold, you hug yourself and rub and simulate shivering.

There are far too many people who don't know (or agree on) standard hand signs so it is a good idea to go over these and others before a dive with new buddies.

For me, the thumbs up has always been the end of the dive. Ascent to another depth is a different set of signals.

I think the biggest thing is to discuss it with your buddy before the dive. Make sure you agree and understand.

Steve Martin is a great free resource for lots of subjects, including hand signals. As already stated, each buddy group should (ideally) be covering common signals before the dive if it’s not their regular group. Not all groups will use these exact signals.

My personal favorite, not really a signal, is - due to lots of low vis diving, the lost buddy protocol.

"Thumbs up" is the end of the dive.
As already been said(#8): have to be agreed among the divers/buddy themselves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom