Hand signal to end/terminate dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently returned from a liveaboard trip to Tiger Beach and Bimini to dive with Tiger and Great Hammerhead Sharks. The shark handler made it very clear in the briefings that crossed arms over the chest meant to discontinue the dive immediately and return to the boat.

This sign might be easier to see and interpret when visibility is decreased, and excitement is high. Fortunately, we never got the X sign :)

I'm looking for clarification and (hopefully) consensus on the hand signal to be used to terminate a dive. There seem to be a few options but none are, in my opinion, ideal and create a chance for miscommunication which can in turn lead to trouble underwater.

Firstly, there is the "thumbs up" signal. This can mean ascend to the surface but can also mean ascend to a shallower depth.
Secondly, the is the "time out" signal with both hand extended side-on and perpendicular to one another. However, this can also be used to signal the number 100. As in... I have 100 bar of gas left.
Thirdly, some use the arms crossed across the chest in an X sign. There is a chance that this can be interpreted as the signal for "I'm cold".

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this and which training agency (yes, I said it!) advocates which end/terminate dive signal and why. Also, are there others signs which may be more effective which could be adopted universally (no, I'm not narc'd).

Thanks!

I have never seen or heard of the second or third ones being used. It may be a regional thing.

Thumb means dive is over. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, dive is over. Obviously complete any necessary stops, but that's it. I don't believe in 2-handed signals and do not recommend anyone make a habit of using them.

Index finger in a circle motion means "turn" and indicates it is time to turn around. Used mostly in cave diving but is particularly useful when shore diving and/or wreck diving where it means it is time to turn back towards our exit. Since it is a turn, you can stop and smell the roses on the way back, but we are heading back.

Hand signal for a depth change is what was said above. Flat hand, palm down, makes a C motion either up or down to dictate a depth change. Typically used in deco to signal time to move to the next stop.

The reality is that despite the thought that hand signals and their meaning are uniformly accepted across the industry/world of diving, they are not...it behooves one to discuss and standardize hand signals with ones dive partner before entering the water as part of any pre-dive discussion/brief, to ensure everyone is clear on the intent of the signals each may use.

For example, having lived outside the US, I have dived with many folks who use the signal of making an "X" with their hands or forearms as either terminate dive, or terminate the exercise (the latter in a training scenario).

-Z

To echo @Zef, the answer is whatever the dive team agree upon before the dive.

If we feel the dive is of a type in which there might be a need to differentiate between "turn-around" and "ascend now, without undue delay," we might agree on using two different signs: waving a vertical index finger in a circle for the former, and a thumb for the latter. However, if the dive is of a type in which "ascend now" is not going to happen (a cave, for example) then the thumb remains our standard signal for "end the dive in the planned manner" (for example, turn around and exit the cave).

For me, Thumb means dive is over, ascend with safety (or deco) stop(s).

I've seen some boat operators use the "timeout" with 3 fingers on the vertical part of the T to mean ascend to 15 ft for a 3 minute safety stop. They'll do the thumb when the stop is over. I imagine this was instituted because infrequent/inexperienced divers would forget their safety stop.

Depth changes use the horizontal hand with movement up/down mentioned by others. If you want to be specific, give the depth afterward. For example, Ascend-Four-Zero.

Mostly dive solo so my buddy.... (19 cf Pony) just somehow knows what I'm thinking. But when with my main buddy, to end a dive we use a thumbs up followed by two hands at 10 & 2 and then rotate back and forth in a steering motion to simulate the steering wheel of the boat or truck. Basically saying..."Lets head back to the boat.......or truck".. If easy shore diving like on Bonaire.... we use the steering wheel followed by a simulation of tilting back a cold one...

Thumbs up means the dive is over. Period. If you want to indicate to go up a bit then point with the index finger, give the amount, and then the level off. There is no discussion about the thumbs up. Dive is done.

I was also taught that "thumbs up" meant "dive is over- head to surface (or first deco stop).
I've also seen the“timeout signal with the vertical three fingers" to mean ascend for the three minute safety stop.
Also the finger pointing up, with some indication of to what depth should you ascend.

One that I thought was confusing, was the "thumbs up", but with a flat palm moved horizontally over the thumb. Evidently that was supposed to mean ascend to some indicated depth. Fortunately, I only encountered this once.

Thumbs up means the dive is over. Period. If you want to indicate to go up a bit then point with the index finger, give the amount, and then the level off. There is no discussion about the thumbs up. Dive is done.
I agree, however it is worth mentioning that the dive should not be considered over until all the buddies acknowledge the directive by repeating the signal back or at least shaking their head. I have to admit that with certain buddies my response has been to wave goodbye, and send them up alone or I have even asked for a little more time by signaling a little bit with my fingers. In any regard, is is very important to ensure that the desire to end the dive has been received and understood.

As has been said thumb up = end of dive

One we use which is a little less abrupt, is home, which is more regularly used on shore dives. Let's start heading back to the entry point. Not an abrupt surface now (thumb up).

looks like this
.........../\
........./....\
........|......|
........|......|
(Ignore the full stops - need these to keep the / \ | correct positioned.)
made with two hands and the fingers touching at the top, palms parallel at the bottom (looks like a house).

Any end of dive signal (thumbs up), is followed by the information on the first stop depth. Either level off signal with a number. Or Thumb up into the palm of the other hand (i.e. up to a fixed level), followed by a number. Normally followed by the stop time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom