Hammerheads dive in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaahh darn Steve, you had to go back home. It would be hard to leave this place after living here for over 9 years. When we go to the main land, we both confirm that we don't want to ever move back. Look forward to your next visit Steve. Great BBQ on Memorial Day too.

Probably.

fwiw, they don't own any of "their" boats. MAUI Scuba Center/Snorkel Shop.BOAT DIVE Maui,MOLOKINI ,LANAI, Hawaii

Their "Lanai" boat is owned by Extended Horizons, their Maalea boat is actually Maui Diamond II and the big gray Cat is owned by someone else and used for day snorkel trips over to Molokini. I've seen it moored while loading tourists in Ma'alea Harbor. Compare for yourself:

Dive Lanai Extended Horizons - Maui's Leading Green Dive Shop - Lahaina, Hawaii
Maui Diamond Sea Sports

Yet if you read the Maui Scuba Center website it states:
Our Lanai dive boat is one of the finest on the island and will whisk you away to the island of Lanai in comfort and: Our Sixteen passenger dive boat is designed for both divers and snorkelers.
What I personally find misleading is that someone on their website intentionally Photoshopped out Extended Horizons name on the picture. I don't do business with people like that...

Other operators book Maui Diamond II also since not everyone has their own boat. Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei is one. But they mention it by name and link to the boat owner's website. Boat Dives - Maui Dreams Dive Co

I didn't compare prices but you might find it cheaper to book directly with the actual boat owner.

ymmv.

Last edited:
MAUI DIVING SCUBA CENTER | BEGINNER DIVERS | SCUBA referral DIVEs | Certification and Introductory Dives | BOAT DIVE| BEACH snorkel through NAUI, PADI ,SSI diving Courses for the beginner Diver on THE ISLAND OF Maui Hawaii.

These guys are in a small strip mall in the back of downtown Lahaina. Buy an air card, rent some lead and they will let you take as many tanks at a time as you want. There are so many choices for shore dives from La Peruse to Honolua. Our favs were Black Rock (do it backwards at night!) Honolua (sucky hike with the tank and rocky entry, but cool dive) and Old Airport (north side of Black Rock and on up the beach with simple sand entry and good parking). We wanted to do Olowalu but never got around to it. Shaka Doug and Scubahawk 27 offer some cool guided options if you journey down south.

Have Fun!

Thanks all.
'definitely going to do the $40 fill card/tank for a week just to have the option to go in whenever. We're staying right by old airport.

Yea, the "photoshop" of the name is kind of sneaky, but if people book directly after seeing the name on their site it's not too good for them is it? Maybe they should photoshop a jumping dolphin at the bow over the name. :) I'd guess it works ok for both companies.

Great tips from all- almost booked and ready!

Yes GREAT BBQ, and "THANK YOU". That was my favorite day of our trip

Yep, they were there 06/18/13 on both dives. We had 8-10 sightings of probably 4 or 5 sharks. Of course the other group saw a school, a Galapagos shark, and a manta, and an eagle ray...
I was totally unprepared with camera settings, having not touched it for over a year- so only a couple lame shots.
Short dives and some rough crossings- but still a fun day.
P6180520b.jpg

DSR just out of curiosity were you the first or second group in the water? We went a couple years ago - and saw a few hammerheads...but the first group in saw a TON of them. We were kinda bummed because they probably scared them away..no fair for us.

We are going again in a couple weeks so hopefully we'll be first in the water and have better luck!!

We were third in- first out!
I was going to rant on the "coming up as a group" thread, because we/I got shorted on time and animals!
Try to arrange your own group ASAP, with experienced divers if you are too. I was on the trip solo and missed a great photo op when I had to come running to the DM playing cowbell... Shortest dives I've done in a long time.
Now the rebreather guy (Bob?) get's his money's worth- he's in before the first group, and out after the last group's second dive!

Good luck and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom