Halloween MegaDive @ Ginnie Springs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know the feeling Bug, I'm taking Friday AND Monday off. Since the back is out, one of those will not be paid as I'm out of leave time. Other people have been rescheduled to fill in for me, and I might not be able to take any more time off around weekends between now and the end of the year, unless on a holiday. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to have a weekender to relax with!
The one benefit of the water so high at Ginnie, is just pull gear out of the trunk, inflate the bc, and float from parking lot to Puerto Rico! As far I'm concerned, the megadive is GOING to happen! Where is the only question.
Mmmmm... open water... DOH!
Besides,... I WANT MY RUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Is it too much to ask for sharks with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads?!"
Dr. Evil

DSW buys many packs of sponges and two mops to take to Ginnie Springs for river cleanup. "Whadya mean that ain't how ya do it up North?" FINE!!!
<So he grabs a windshield squeegee as well.> HAPPY?!
He gets to Ginnie... That's a LOT of water! He looks atthe small bucket he brought and thinks, "me gonna need a bigger bucket." he trudges int the water to the edge of the main platform and looks down into the tea colored darkness that is the main spring.
Somebody warhammered BAD!
Yes, folks it does get worse! Gibbon will attest to it, and this is SOBER!!!

I'm not sure if I can make it. Schedueld to work that weekend, but might have a "family dive emergency" to attend to if I can talk my new Missus into it. With Ginnie in the shape its in now, might make for soem semi interestign dives, aside from the colombian otters and floating out to the gulf on a drift dive gone awry....

"Rum is on it's way, young man. Patience, kimosabe, patience!! "

WOW Ken, she called you a "young man". You don't get that too often :p

And yes, I will attest. I have never seen DSW drunk, and it gets FAR worse.

mmmm Tea diving, thats what I'm talkin about :p

Time for some injin mojo to clear up that water.

Emergency Relief Evaluation Volunteers Needed!!!

Gainesville Times Tribune
10/14/04
Gainesville, Florida

Florida asks civillians for help.

Severe flooding caused by the recent Storms in the Southeast have prompted The State of Florida to call for environmental impact reviews of the rivers and estuaries that have been inundated by excessive flooding. Local Environmental Protection Divisions and Water Management District Offices are asking scuba divers and fisherman familiar with the Santa Fe and Suwannee River areas to assist in detailing the damage caused by the flooding. Photography is especialy helpful if you have before and after pictures. If you would be willing and able to assist in this study, please contact your local agencies. If your name is Tao of the Dive, this study's assistance is mandatory and if you do not attend, you will be pelted with Otter Snot. For those of you unawares, there is no such company as the Gainesville Times Tribune. Thank you for your attention. We now return you to your regularly scheduled megadive.

IT DOES GET WORSE!!!

I also DON'T get the young man comment often and am flattered when I do! It was also cool when I got carded once for a lottery ticket! Then again, I know someone who was carded to buy gas for her car. (MANEATER) But we won't name any names. (MANEATER) Because she would most likely beat me savagely if she ever found out. (MANEATER) So I'll just say, it's someone we all know and love very dearly, so please put down that knife honey, I was only joking and will probably not heal well if you do what it looks like you're thinking of doing.... :11:

Ultimately, if Ginnie is a washout, we may be looking at Manatee Springs as the alternative campsite. Pavillion rental is half the cost of Ginnie, If they have one available, or we will have to locate an area where we can erect the tarps. As it is a State Park, they are MUCH more touchy about tying things to trees than Ginnie is. The sites are still under scrutiny. MUCH research is being done and two people are even looking at non-public campsite options for us. I'm still holding out that as soon as Ginnie can open they will. It's a private facility and they aren't making any money if they're closed. Their employees also aren't making any money if they're not working and may look for employment elsewhere if it seems long term, thus losing good people who are already trained for noobs. They may have some sites off limits as unreachable and/or too dangerous to dive, but the campsites should be high and dry by the office. I look at them doing what Manatee is doing and opening it a little at a time. I would dive Ginnie main at this water level, if it were still clear, but not being able to get anywhere near the Devil's area, or it being darkwater could seriously cut options for diving. I will start compiling a list of sites by calling them myself and seeing what is currently open and diveable. This may help those of you who are just looking to dive now, not just getting prepped for the megadive. Get the digital camera ready, we're going for a drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crafty:

Dare I suggest heading southeast?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom