Halloween MegaDive @ Ginnie Springs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my car is acting up, and we are still getting uncertain info from a client (probably last minute changes with no change in deadline, but we're not sure! :banghead: ). Put that together with paying up the roof and underestimated chimney chase repair :pity_part , and I dont think I will be able to make it. Argh!!

Sounds like it wasn't the worst time to miss the Megadive, though. I hope you guys have fun wherever you end up. Good luck on finding a nice dry group of campsites.

At least the finances are looking up. With both of us working and only one household, we should be back on track in just a few months. (Only about $2000 of household needs purchases left.)

Viva la Spring Megadive when I won't be broke!!!

Manatee is VERY much open for camping. The sink is clear and twice its normal surface area. The water is only four steps from flowing over the TOP platform where the benches and "CERTIFED DIVERS ONLY" sign is. The fiberglass manatee is two inches belly deep in water. The main spring is closed to swimming and diving, and its water is at the base of the concessions stand catwalk. The reasons for Manatee being the final choice are this...
Easy to find, camping availability, not far from other dive sites, pavillion rental is cheaper AND still available. I also like the fact that the 16 bucks it costs to get ONE person into Ginnie gets EIGHT people into Manatee! Yes diving is limited, yes it is not in the center of all the springs, or have the most exciting dive spots, but one thing it IS right now, is definite. :) Every other spring I called or emailed, is either closed, or has no idea whether they will soon be diveable. If Ginnie were to say... "We're open for camping, but not for swimming or diving, OK, I can deal with that. I can't deal with making a ton of plans, all based on last minute possibilities. I am not one to leave these things to chance. I want to know where I will be, how much I will be paying, and after the last negotiating fiasco, that what is PROMISED is STILL there! Today I rented the pavillion at the sink, which IS diveable. The first people there, are the first divers. Limit of 35/day total, NOT rolling total. We knew this, but better to have SOME place to have this party than NO place. :) It's far enough South to allow Ginnie (if they are open), or the Devil's Den/Blue Grotto dives. It is also North enough to allow for anything near Telford.
Having the flooding hit was not exactly something we could have planned for. During next fall/winter season, I will be planning on Halloween Weekend at some place like Crystal River, or even trying another East Coast dive if you guys can clear up the water and keep the waves down. I really want to see some shipreefs if possible someday. Next year, my family's financial situation will allow pretty much anywhere as location for the parties. I will probably start looking into sites like Crystal River and along the Santa Fe for real estate purchases. This way we have a guaranteed campsite at least. :)
Unfortunately for now, we are reduced to what we can find open, and to what is feasible for the majority. I will also try to plan ahead for next year so if we need a fall back from storms/hurricanes, it will be Crystal River. Even if we have to organize a hotel takeover!
For those who have confirmed they are coming in late, I will contact you with the passcode for the gate as soon as I get it Friday morning. So far I have SuperBugMan as the only one coming in late. If anyone else is coming in after about 6-7 pm, let me know so I can call you as well. I found us a large area that can accomodate about 10-15 tents. I'm looking at 3-4 site rez, which will accomodate 24-32 people. At this point it looks like there will be plenty of surrounding camping. I will keep you updated.

Excellent, thanks for keeping us updated and keeping this thing organized. I don't think a Megadive SB party would be much fun with people spread out across FL not knowing what the heck is going on :D

Ginnie is supposed to be back open oct. 22nd. with the ballroom open and maybe even the devil's system. try calling them again.

I called twice today and got the same recorded loop message. Where did you hear this info?
Besides, we can always do Ginnie as a day trip. Right now, I'd rather have a guaranteed location for the party. If Ginnie re-opens, I might go for the day on Sunday, when I'm not cooking or relaxing. If not, it's a campout anyway. I've been caught between problems like this too many times. Learned a long time ago that the hesitation only amplifies problems. At this point, Ginnie is a dive site. Manatee is the campsite/party site. I won't see-saw between them. I have a pavillion reserved at Manatee and tomorrow will be picking up 5 campsite rez for Manatee. That gives us opt for 40 people or spacing if less show up so we can spread out a bit. If any place else opens up, cool. People will have places to go dive nearby. I'm just dealing with what's solid now. Something that may or may not be open doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. "All reservations cancelled" but my money hasn't been returned, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
No replies to email, or ability to reach by phone... if you call and get in touch with them, tell them to check my email and get back with me. :)
Either way, it's gonna be a par-tay!!!!! :dazzler1:

DEEPSEAWOLF:
I called twice today and got the same recorded loop message. Where did you hear this info?

An employee called a diver and asked him to post it on the net, I got the info from another site. have you tried e-mailing connie or rose?

I'll do that when I get home tonight. This work computer is a pain in the rear to send emails from.
I find it odd that the managers of the park didn't just post it to their own site if they wanted word out that they'd be open, or what the conditions are expected to be.
Then again, I don't run Ginnie so who knows what they have planned. :)
Either way, if they're open, I'll go dive, cuz the woman and I want to dive together, and Ginnie is great for her. I've always loved it there, flooded or not.
I think it'd be fun to float gear from the parking lot to the spring right from the trunk. Would make for interesting pix! I REALLY want to see the devil's system clear up!

I am afraid I am going to have to call off next weekend as well. I have just run into some car problems that need to be addressed with quite a pricey solution, so I am trying to count every penny. Also, I'll be at Manatee this weekend, diving for my Intro to Cave training, so I don't think I'll want to make the drive back up there from Orlando. Sorry to miss this one guys, but it seems too many things have happened lately to prevent me from making this trip. Hope you all have fun anyway!

I have four sites reserved for the weekend. We will be in Hickory Loop. It's the campground on the right, just before the parking area to the swim area. As you turn into Hickory, the first site on the left is #100. This is where I will be posting the main camp. It is a counter-clockwise drive so teachnically we are the LAST four sites; 97, 98, 99, and 100. I also have the Catfish sink Pavillion reserved for Saturday. Although we may not have all sites filled on Friday, I thought it best to reserve them anyway. This gives us up to 32 people in this area before we need to get another site. It will start as a first come first setup basis, but there are still sites available. As of right now, there are 10 other sites available in the hickory loop. and about 80 sites available elsewhere in the park. Reservations can be made through reserveamerica.com if you need a separate RV space, but we should have plenty of space for tents. I have one group coming in late Friday night so far, possibly two. If we get close to filling up Saturday morning, I'll grab extra sites as needed. More info to follow.

Anyone from Orlando area going? We know have an "Official" ScubaBoard Banner... it's about 8 foot long on vinyl with grommets for hanging. I has the official logo on it! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom