Halloween MegaDive @ Ginnie Springs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got a good place for camping and all that's really close to the shore dives?

The closest park that I know of is TY Park in Hollywood
It is about 5 miles from the beach. Close to the interstate and suburbia...so lots to do nearby, but camping in a suburban landscape....

The problems with going further South are;
Maneater has to work Friday and Monday which I do not. I want her in attendance.
Also, I would like to be local for some trick-or-treating with the toddler Sunday night as I know the area, even if it's only for an hour.
If not for those two factors, I'd be looking at a Crystal River trip with a campout/hotel takeover there. At this point, probably what we'll be doing for the December manatee trip. This started more as a Holiday get together for some of the locals that, as always happens at my shindigs, turned into a major event. I love when that happens for attendance reasons, but when Mother Nature gets PMS, (Putting up with Mankind's S#!+),... it gets difficult to suddenly move everything. We haven't had a flooding problem since 89. Even then, it wasn't THIS bad. I had looked at Manatee as a contingency site, and am still doing so. It's cheaper, and right off the main highway leading to many other places. It's just a distance between everything, and somewhat limited on dive options. There is also an alcohol restriction in PUBLIC areas. I have always seen that if you obey the quiet time rules, nobody cares if you're sloppy drunk in your campsite, just don't take it to the commons areas, swimming areas, or bathroom buildings. Then again, I know many a picnicer who has been kicking back with a beer while chatting to rangers in a pavillion or a picnic table, as long as everyone is behaving and it's not a "PARTY." As for Ginnie, they're pretty much the same way, but it's so much closer to other dive sites than Chiefland is.

Some of the campgrounds I've been speaking with are saying they will be closed as they are still dealing with down or leaning trees and/or their grounds are still so wet, they fear a good breeze would drop more, making their place a hazard. I plan on driving to Ginnie Saturday and taking a look and some photos if they'll let me. I also saw a few campgrounds that I can't reach by phone or find on the net, that I want to check out for potential backups. At this point, it's either Ginnie or Manatee, with Ginnie preferred. I hate testing new camp areas that I have never stayed in for large events like this. So many problems are encountered. (Like the GROUP RATE/DEPOSIT thing from the LAST party!) If Ginnie is still closed, we're looking right now at about twenty divers, most of whom OW, paying 30 bucks a pop for at least one day of diving, maybe two...
Five or more cavers, at 20 a pop for 1-2 days, and about 20-40 potential campers again, paying roughly 15 bucksa head for 1-2 nights. That's a LOT of money, just from our group! (about 2-3 grand) Then there's the pumpkin carve and possible galaxy dives all weekend, the daystayers,... blah, blah, blah.
I prefer to spend a quarter of that if I can, but the hassle of driving to distant locations and back each day, and coordinating where we're diving and when we'll be back is to be considered. HOPING Ginnie will be open and we are as normal. Keeping shoelaces crossed.

Well, it looks like this event is kinda up-in-the-air at the last minute due to hurricane stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just my impression from skimming the ever-growing thread.

Unfortunately I just had a falling out with the friend who I was going to come with, and my wife & I just endured the closing costs of refinancing the house so we're strapped right now. Normally, a springs dive wouldn't be too expensive, but a) we're newbies who don't own our gear so there's an added $45/person, and b) we have big dogs who would need to be boarded, so there's another $40/day.

I say this to let you (DSW) know that I'm not bowing out on a whim. We've thought long and hard about this and planned on attending as promised. But it just looks to be too difficult right now,.. especially since we're already committed to attending the REEF fish ID class which has recently been re-scheduled to fall shortly after Halloween. This will undoubtedly incur all of the same expenses mentioned above (PLUS hotel fees).

If you've purchased any supplies or anything based on the predicted numbers, I don't wanna leave you hanging. Lemme know and we'll pitch in to recompensate you. And don't worry, I still have your spear here for as soon as we hook up. (I could always mail it to you, if you like)

Thanks for trying to put something together. I hope it still works out for those who can attend. If anything changes (financially or schedule-wise), I'll let you know ASAP.

Sorry DSW,
cra2

Cra2, first,... status is still a go, "where" is the question. Second, Sucks to not be able to have you there, but awesome that you have closed on a house!!!!! Congrats!!!
Big dogs? Light meat or dark? We pay by the pound... next, I'll get with you on PM about the spear, not a prob. There will be MANY more DSW megadives!!! Mther Nature just put a damper on this one. Plan on making the April party which will probably also be at Ginnie. April is a great time for Ginnie as it's still cool enough not to sweat to death in gear getting to the dive sites, and the river is clear enough for drift dives. WAY COOL! The food will be purchased based on who's coming, but any extra will NOT go to waste. Plates and stuff gets stored for the next party, still good on that from the last one, and drinks are still stocked up as well. I will be posting what we need shortly if anything.

On another note,... I went by High Springs Campground yesterday. They don't have many sites, but are only a stone's throw away from the interstate on exit 404. They also have a pool on site, a bathhouse/restrooms, and a laundry. Looks like another option for campers. Off the 398ish exit, there is also the Traveler's campground. I don't know much about this place, but it looks decent from the interstate and is also close. I will probably be driving over to the Ginnie area this morning to see what spring conditions are, and what is open over there.

I am still planning that if Ginnie is a washout, we're switching over to Manatee Springs for the campout/party. Some diving potential, and I will probably be driving over there today as well. Need to get away from the confines for a while. Cabin fever setting in.

I just sent an email to Ginnie Springs. Although they have been closed for a week plus, and reservations have been cancelled, I have not recieved a refund on the charge for my reservations. I Just recieved an auto-reply saying they were closed and also cannot reach them by phone. It just has a repeating message saying to check back on the 22nd. I sent the email asking for clarification on the issue. We'll see what happens. I am checking out Manatee Springs' camp availabilities now...

OK!!!!!!............. THE LOCATION IS CHANGING!!!!!
I am headed to Manatee Springs to look at sites and reservations!
I will be reserving 3 campsites. This will allow a guaranteed maximum of 24 people in 3 adjoining sites. If I get a definite number of people higher than that, I'll add to it as available. Anyone coming after that will have to take sites as available. I will also be renting a pavillion for Saturday and I will have more info when I get back. The main spring is closed for now, but the sink is open. This will secure a location and minimize the "wonder where we gonna be" syndrome. It will mean that aside from diving the sink, we will be commuting to alternate dive sites, but as we have done that before and are still unsure of what will be open, we might have needed to do that at Ginnie as well. I will get all info needed and have someone change the original posting in this thread to show the new locations, and directions.
VIVA LA MEGADIVE!!!!!!!

Sounds good, I'm still in :) I'm assuming Manatee will let me in late at night as well eh?

DSW - take a look at your spring options (at least in cave country) on this cave map. For OW diving, you are pretty much limited to Manatee, the other sinks in Williston and Ocala (Blue Grotto, Devils Den and Paradise Springs). There might also be the chance to do a canoe ride upstream (or w/ motor boat if you can get one lined up) and river drift down either Silver River (Ocala area) or Rainbow River to spice up the options for diving. I know you have dove the main sink (Catfish) at Manatee, but after a few dives it can be a little dull, the main spring (Manatee) is a bit of fun to play with the outflow or for the non-divers to hang out in (assuming its open). I dont think you would be able to dive at night there either like we did at Ginnie - as you cant dive with lights. I would have to assume that this is most likely going to be more social than diving oriented though. Take a look at the Manatee Springs SP page for details of available activities around that SP. Hope you guys still have a good time and enjoy the social side of this all, i am still stuck on family entertainment duty. :wink:

manatee has a limit of divers per day, not at a time. And also no diving there at night ( i'm not sure if you are camping there, but I assume, no diving then either).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom