Haleakala Bike Co vs Mountain Riders on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dldiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Help us make a decision...we're about to book a sunrise bike trip on Maui and can't decide between the two ops. Anyone have any insight, warnings, praises or discounts for either of the shops???
thanks!

D. :)

dldiver:
Help us make a decision...we're about to book a sunrise bike trip on Maui and can't decide between the two ops. Anyone have any insight, warnings, praises or discounts for either of the shops???
thanks!

D. :)

First, please remember that Haleakala's summit is 10,023 ft. It is like going up in an airplane and you need to follow post-diving restrictions.

I did the down-the-mountain bike ride with Haleakala Bike Co several years ago and they were excellent. My only criticism was too many bikers and somewhat too slow. However, there was no way to trim the number of bikers other than hope that there were fewer in an off-season ride. In regards to speed, since I really did not know the way down, it was probably for my own long-term health.

By the way sunrise on the Home of the Clouds (=Hale (home) akala (=clouds) is not to be missed. Unfortunately, two of the three times I have made the trek, there was fog. In fact, I have seen more of the peak from the peak area of Mauna Kea on the Big Island than whilst on Maui! However, if it is a clear day, you will have a lifetime memory!:D

joewr

The sunrise is cool, cold in fact but well worth the drive. The bike ride down? Now that's another story. Sitting on a bike riding the brakes for three hours just does not look like much fun to me. I have not done it thou. Remember part if not most of your ride may end up raining. They do provide rain gear.
Enjoy your visit!

We want to do that....

post a report after you do it!

I wonder what kind of bikes they put you on?

West Maui bike rentals has Giants and Cannondale carbon fibre bikes for weekly renral, BTW.

They are single speed old fashoned handlebared, triangular shaped seat on springs with a big drum brake on the back. Very geekish looking but purpose built.

Donna and I went on the ride in 2004. We had a blast, but we waited for the trip that left at 8am. Make sure you go with an operator that can get into the park. They have to meet certain safety standards before the park will allow them in.

Have fun, but be careful.

careful you don't..what? drive off the side?

So..what kind of brakes?

catherine96821:

Exactly!:no

joewr

catherine96821:

So..what kind of brakes?
I'm told it's a carefully concealed fact that this is actually one of the most dangerous activities you can do while on Maui.

Maui County Council is currently considering upping the minimum required insurance for these operators from $1million to $5million. (http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=25388)

You must also remember that people manage to have heart attacks while doing this, too... :)

Back
Top Bottom