Halcyon sueing OxyCheq, US Divers and others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive:
Why does Halycon care whey don't believe in weight integrated pockets.
As mentioned in one of the earlier 200-odd posts, so you are forgiven for missing it, one or more of the defendants have been asked to hand over OTHER items of stock apart from weight pockets in order to settle. Wings were mentioned for instance. Makes it sound like the lawsuit is merely a cover, rather than being simply about enforcing a patent on non-ditchable trim weights, or whatever the patents cover.

And once more for the record, Halcyon is not the plaintiff. It's this "Carleigh Rae Corporation", who on the face of it appear to have connections to Halcyon through a common individual. But the question of the wings sort of throws an interesting angle on the connections. Why would what looks to be a shell corporation that owns nothing more than a couple of trim weight patents be demanding wings from a defendant as part of the settlement? Hmm, which well known manufacturer has probably lost a bucketload of wing sales in the past 6 months?

I'm betting the whole thing is simply to do with wing sales. No-one appears to own a patent on wings. So how do you get at your competitors if you can't sue them for wing patent violations? Find another patent perhaps?

No doubt more facts will probably become public once the case is over, but no-one from either the plaintiffs or the defendants have joined the thread (there's a surprise, not!), so until that happens, this is all speculation.

Look over on Rec.scuba. Oxycheq is well-represented there and Scott has posted on this several times.

The truth is out there...

Genesis:
Look over on Rec.scuba. Oxycheq is well-represented there and Scott has posted on this several times.

The truth is out there...

With no disrespect to Oxycheq intended, what leads you to believe that what he posted is the "truth". Because he put it on rec.scuba, or because it fits your pre-conceived notions of what is going on?

Eventually, certain facts may be decided by a judge or jury. Until then, however, all you've got are competing allegations.

Its pretty hard to forge receipts - they are easily checked out as business records.

The history on the trim weights is pretty clear as well. So is Scott's employment history, and the state of the prior art. Many people can independantly verify all of this, since they used these components and knew where they got them - before Brownies' had any association with Scott.

This pretty much blows holes the size of Palestinian Suicide Bombers in the idea that "prior art" was unknown at the time of filing, eh?

Sure looks that way to me.

Never mind that one of the requested "remedies" is the confiscation of other, unrelated products that have NOTHING to do with any claims in the patents (wings are not a part of this, but turning them over is one of the demands), but have a LOT to do with things that a certain other company makes....

Sure, certain facts will eventually be decided by a judge or jury. However, that does not stop any of us who have actually done some research into the matter from forming our own opinion of what's going on here.

Could Scott be lying? Sure. How many black helicopter theories do you need to subscribe to in order to conclude that not only is HE lying, but the firms he bought the materials from previously are ALSO lying, along with the people who USED those products prior to the filings. Gee, that's a lot of people to get involved in an ACTIVE conspiracy for what - a couple of molded pieces of lead?

IMHO this isn't about trim weights. Its about attempting to drive certain competing manufacturers of OTHER, NON-PATENTABLE products out of the marketplace so that one manufacturer has a larger market share of a relatively small, constrained market.

What they cannot do with superior products at a better price (that is, through normal, red-blooded competition) they are instead trying to do via a legal form of extortion.

At least that's how I read it.

It's really hilarious how worked up some of you get over this stuff. :D

I wish you were here... beautiful sunny PNW day and the water is flat calm. I would take you out diving... help you to remember what it is like to scuba dive in water... that would put a smile on your face.

Heh, its rainy and nasty over here right now, and is supposed to be all week.

At least the cold appears to have departed. Let's hope it stays gone.

Uncle Pug:

Ain't that the truth.
:banghead: :banghead:

You know Ron,

With the way airfares are dropping, I might just do that soon. :D

Uncle Pug:

I wish you were here... beautiful sunny PNW day and the water is flat calm. I would take you out diving... help you to remember what it is like to scuba dive in water... that would put a smile on your face.

Ain't that the truth ... and I managed to get in 12 dives in the past four days.

Besides the great weather the vis has been awesome ... 35-50 foot range yesterday. To top it off my buddy and I found an octopus sleeping in the sand that had to be 12 feet tip-to-tip.

Doesn't that make y'all just want to stop bickering, hop on a plane and come take Uncle Pug up on his offer? Just bring a drysuit, 'cuz the water temp's about 46 degrees F right about now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom