Halcyon STA-less BP / Wing Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bolt with the rounded tip does scratch the tank and it is a bit of a PITA the first few times to get it to sit right. A flat or flush bolt would work much better (of Jeff's clip solution).

This has been a topic of a couple threads. The wife and I use zeagle camband pads on our single tank rigs. I tried putting innertube around the bolt heads and still had scatches. The wobble of the tank was the problem I didn't like. Sure makes it a nice tight rig and just enough offset to miss the bolt heads. You can see the remains of the innertube "fix" in the photo.

tony

attachment.php

What i found that worked really nice was a 1/4" ss v-tapered bolt head.The top of the bolt will sit flush with the top of the grommet and will not scratch your tank cause the top of the bolt is flat and flush with the top of the grommet.Simply apply a 1/4" wing nut to the inside channel to hold the wing to the bp.

I'll agree with lal7176 - after all he sent me a set and it is working so great I got some for my wife's BP/wings :) It sits nice and flush unlike the other bolts.

My 2001 Wing originally came with the rounded head bolts, but after much tank-scratching, I talked to Halcyon and they sent me a set of 1/4 inch flat-head tapered bolts w/wing nuts, on their dime. To be extra careful, I coated them with tool dip and haven't had a scratch since. My replacement wing is due on Tuesday and I'm wondering if the new version of the Pioneer has the tank sitting higher, or if the integrated rods are the same gauge. If it's higher, I might not bother with the tool dip.
But Jeff, now you've got me thinking about those plastic clips from Lowe's. I hunted their plumbing department for plastic 1/4" hardware last year but struck out. Looks like I was in the wrong department . . .

And I, too, used 1/4" SS "tapered head" screws. They're flat on top and tapered underneath, and so not only do they sit flush on the "tank" side of the wing, but they are actually recessed a little. It looks like a nice, solid design.

Since I use the Halcyon "stealth pack" on the other side (and have a seperate rig for diving doubles) I went ahead and went with plain ol' nuts and washers on the inside side of the plate, with a lock washer stuck in there for good measure. Then I used a Dremel tool to cut off the remaining ends of the screws so that I would have the most "flush" result, even on the inside of the plate. I felt that having less sticking out would be the kindest to my lift bag, which I do put in my "stealth pack."

Interestingly, I Dremeled off probably 1/4" of length from the screws... So I could have accomplished the same thing by purchasing 3/4" long, 1/4" stainless tapered-head screws. Unfortunately, I only found them in the 1" long variety, and so I completed the job with that Dremel.

I just got a new Fred-T plate I’m putting to together with my Pioneer 36 wings and looking at the same thing. What is the best head angle is for the flathead machine screws? I have access to the more standard 82-degree as well as 100 degree and was wondering, which is a better fit. I am also thinking about using flat washers and a nylon insert locknuts. These work well on land, but I’m not sure how they will do in salt water. They’re only good for one use but they stay on well.

So what are the people who use only the cambands missing out on, guys?

metridium once bubbled...
So what are the people who use only the cambands missing out on, guys?

I’m not sure since I’ve never tried it but it seems like there’s no advantage to having it flopping around. I would bolt the wing to the backplate if for no other reason than it makes it easier to thread the cam bands.

Mike

MikeS wrote...

I’m not sure since I’ve never tried it but it seems like there’s no advantage to having it flopping around. I would bolt the wing to the backplate if for no other reason than it makes it easier to thread the cam bands.
When I add or remove the cambands, it means I'm switching between Pioneer and Explorer wings. I wouldn't save any time on threading that I wouldn't lose on fiddling around with the extra bolts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom