Halcyon STA-less BP / Wing Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgraham11

Reaction score
I just got my Halcyon BP w/ the 27 lbs Pioneer wings in the mail a few days ago. After an hour or so of adjustments I have it fitting the way I want. Now my question is, the BP and Wings didn't come attached, and the CAM straps more or less hold them together, but should I still bolt them together (there are holes in the Pioneer wings even though they are for single tanks). The problem I forsee is that the bolt heads are going to be right up against the tank which doesn't seem like a Good Thing (tm).

Thanks!

I just got the same setup. There are bolts that have flat heads and nuts that have a flat end also.

I had also ordered the acb weight system which comes with these bolts to hold the pouches to the bp. I never used the pouches as they seemed too big to me and went with a belt. I sent the bolts back with the acbs but am going to get some more to hold the the wing to the bp. I tried it without them and it is very hard to get the tank lined up with the wing lined up with the bp. I thought the design was strange. I was down at the EE shop and showed them the bolts I put in and they said it was a good idea for whatever that is worth. Not sure of any "DIR" reason for not having the bolts in there.

I had the bolt head in the canal part of the bp next to my back and the flat section of the nut next to the tank and no problems at all.

I do not know what kind of bolt it is called right off, though I iwill look around and see if I can get the name. You can try those cheap little plastic things but I think they would break quickly.

I just used the rig on one trip and thought it was amazing. I did one dive to get the adjustment and on the second dive I forgot it was even there until I got out of the water!

Let me know how you like it.

Tommy

I initially bought a pair of 3/8" hex bolts along with washers and wing nuts. I was threading the bolt so that the head of the bolt was on the outside of the wing, and the wing nut was on the inside of the BP. It just seemed a little odd to me since there is a natural groove in the wing for a tank, but if there are bolts sticking out, the tank is going to be resting entirely on the bolts. On the inside, the bolts are short enough that they don't even come close to my back.

I also got the Storage Pak and it included the plastic snaps, and I'm not too fond of them either. Some of them are partly split from snapping them together. I'm considering either bolts or wire ties to hold the Storage Pak in place.

I think maybe EE screwed up my order then, because I was under the impression that with the new Pioneer wings you didn't need the STA. When I ordered online (which was probably a mistake) I had requested the whole package w/ an aluminum BP, and apparantly they just sent me all of the individual pieces and one of the older Pioneer wings. But now I'm not going to turn around and pay another $98 for the STA, that seems silly, especially since I already have the CAM straps. I guess I may just have to call EE to see if I can get it straightened out.

Ah, that makes sense now and when I look at their website it even says so...

"Pioneer wings now utilize an integrated cam-strap system to eliminate the need for a single tank adapter. With removal of the integrated straps, the new Pioneer wings can still be used with the Halcyon stainless single tank adapter, if preferred."

I wonder if there is a way to get just the adapter without the CAM straps (since I already have 'em). The setup is great, it just seems like it might be a little unstable without the wing bolted to the BP.

I have the same setup with the new type of pioneer wings (27lb). I attach the wing on with small carriage bolts and wing nuts and the straps. Wing nuts go in the BP channel. The bolts that I use in no way touch the tank. If you run this setup with out the bolts and just with the straps the tank will roll alot because there is no way for the straps to secure the wing to the plate with out flexing..

Bolts wouldn't be a bad idea, but not necessary IMO.

I use a 36lb pioneer with just the cam bands. No problems with the tank rolling or wing shifting. I've heard that they twist a little, but haven't experienced it... or couldn't tell, but I would imagine my dive buddies would have said something.

The steel cam buckles from Halcyon took a while to get used to, but are great to work with once you figure them out. They allow me to strap the tank down pretty tight. With the tank sandwiching the wing to the blackplate, a little play may occur due to the strap cutouts on the wing and BP. I personally haven't noticed any movement, but never bothered to check. Never really thought I could mangle the SS BP much... maybe my AL, which is what I primarily use, but haven't noticed that either.

The one difference in configuration, I use 2 trim pockets (~5#/pocket) on the tank straps. Since they are flush against the wing/BP, they cradle the tank for a little more stability from rolling.

Let's not forget that the tank bands stretch with water.

Great setup! Enjoy!

I got mine at Extreme Exposure and have nothing but top ratings for the entire staff and buying experience. The have a policy that you can use the stuff for 30 days and then return it if you do not want it. They have answered numerous questions from several points of view to help me get what I needed.

You can get the same gear from H20adventuregear.com for a little cheaper but I do not have any experience with them.

Tommy

I, unfortunately cannot rave about the service I recieved from the EE folks.
I purchased a BP/wings setup around the 20th of December over the phone. This being my first such purchase I had a few questions for EE which occured to me by reading this very thread. Namely, what have they heard from customers about the instability of the system without use of an STA, as the newer models have the cam straps included? Also, what about the tank resting on the bolts that I have read about here?

I didnt get a name from the EE employee, so I cant say who I spoke to (dont retailers usually introduce themselves to begin the transaction?), but I might as well have asked her what type of feminine hygiene products she uses! She was seemingly annoyed at my questions and answered everything in very short statements as if to say "you're wasting my time!". I plummeted from a very excited entrant into the world of the backplate to a disgruntled customer.

To end the conversation, she mumbled something about "when we get it in stock we'll send it out to you." I ordered the Holiday Special glue residue blem wings which apparently arent at EE but in some warehouse to be sent to customers whenever they feel like getting around to it. It's Jan 08 and no wings yet.

Despite the tone here, I'm not angry with my experience but just very disappointed given the many glowing remarks I've read about EE and Halcyon. I just hope that when my BC gets here, hopefully before the end of the dive season in the Northeast, it performs as well for me as it does for all the other backplate enthusiasts out there. Everyone has bad days and maybe I got her on hers, but what a surprise from what I've read about EE.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom