Halcyon STA bolt/wingnut size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order some DSS Delrin Thumbwheels. I see that Tobin sells several different sizes (8mm, 5/16", 3/8:, 1/4") - Can anybody tell me what size I should order to replace the SS wingnuts that Halcyon uses on their Ecplipse pkg. STA?

I know they're not 1/4", but I don't have an easy way to determine just what size they are (5/16", 3/8", or 8mm). I'll get hold of Tobin this week and see if he knows before I order - but was hoping somebody here might have the info.

<EDIT> - Was just advised that they're 5/16"

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to order some DSS Delrin Thumbwheels. I see that Tobin sells several different sizes (8mm, 5/16", 3/8:, 1/4") - Can anybody tell me what size I should order to replace the SS wingnuts that Halcyon uses on their Ecplipse pkg. STA?

I know they're not 1/4", but I don't have an easy way to determine just what size they are (5/16", 3/8", or 8mm). I'll get hold of Tobin this week and see if he knows before I order - but was hoping somebody here might have the info.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Daz,

I can tell by looking, that's what happens when you operate a machine shop for 25 years, you end up with a calibrated eyeball. :wink:

The bolts are most likely 5/16". This is the most common size. If you have a "H" plate the holes in the plate are 3/8" Your bolts should not be a tight fit in the holes.

An easy way to check bolt diameters is to see what size wrench fits the regular hex nut (or hex bolt head) for the same size fastener.

The standard hex nut size (wrench size) for 5/16 bolts is 1/2"
For 3/8 diameter bolts the standard size will be 9/16"

If you have a regular nut that fits your STA bolts see what size wrench fits the that nut.

Tobin

Thanks guys.

Tobin - I just placed my order on your website (decided I needed some of your nifty tools as well).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom