Halcyon Regs. Are They Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dos Cylindros

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am currently in the market for a new reg set to supplement my Hollis DC1/212 setup. Since I will admit an attraction to Halcyon products (I dive their Infinity BC and love it), I was thinking about picking up a full blown Halcyon reg setup. As most things with the blue H, they are expensive so I was wondering if they are actually worth the premium. I'm also looking at picking up the Dive Rite XT reg setup and was wondering if the H regs are worth the premium over the Dive Rite XT's?

Anyone with experience on either setup, please help a guy out.

Why point at Halcyon and not Scubapro, another premium brand?

Why point at Halcyon and not Scubapro, another premium brand?

Purely out of vanity lol, I just thought it would be nice to have matching kit. A bit childish I know but I just thought it would be nice. Plus as I freely admitted, I am a bit of a Halcyon fan boy. I realize they are basically Scubapro regs, I'm just looking for input.

or at Atomic who are made in California? H regs are Scubapro regs. I don't think they're worth the premium, especially for local diving out there where the pistons present some inconveniences over diaphragms and the H sealed diaphragm isn't a turret which forces you into sub-optimal hose routing.

tbone, thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the non rotating turret, as I would not be going with a piston first stage. I prefer diaphragm.

I use ScubaPros MK 25-600s on my long hose - short hose configurations. I also use an Atomic B2 for pleasure diving. Both are great regs. :)

If you are looking for the H logo, then that is where the money is. H regulators are Scubapro. If you want to same quality for less, you can easily find scubapro mk25/G250v on 2nd hand market for much less. Atomic is definitely a good choice as well, but if you are into tech diving, don't go with any of the Titanum model. Brass is more compatible and less money. Any of these will be superior to Hollis

If you are looking for the H logo, then that is where the money is. H regulators are Scubapro. If you want to same quality for less, you can easily find scubapro mk25/G250v on 2nd hand market for much less. Atomic is definitely a good choice as well, but if you are into tech diving, don't go with any of the Titanum model. Brass is more compatible and less money. Any of these will be superior to Hollis
Or go to HOG D1's. Diaphragm, environmentally sealed, rotating turret (with a bottom port), rebuild kits easy to come by, still an incredible value for the dollar (yes I know it is an Apek knock-off)

Thanks for the info. I do dive a long hose setup, but recreationally only as of now, I will transition to tech down the road, but that's a few years away (my kids need to eat lol). Thanks for the input so far, I will be making the purchase next month.

Back
Top Bottom