Halcyon Pioneer or Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Walton

Contributor
Reaction score
As a complete newbie I am getting ready to purchase my first BC and have narrowed down to bp/wing or oms IQ. Leaning towards the bp/wing as even with the IQ I would add a backplate.

My question today is on the choice of wings. I will be mostly rec, open water diving this year and who knows past that. I decided on the harness type bc for comfort as I am a big guy and felt very restricted in a jacket.

I will only be diving singles this year and again, who know past that.

I have heard some dissatisfaction with Halcyon's Pioneer wing from a few post on this board (i.e. hard to center the tank with the bolt heads in the way, did not like the tank straps being in the wing, and that the strap actually completely opens up upon release of the cam buckle).

Would ya'll still recommend the Pioneer or a 40lb Explorer with a STA?

Thank you.

I recently purchased the 27# pioneer wing and I love mine. Although its the new style, I still use my STA with it and it works fine. I have had no trouble centering my tank or anything else with it so far.

Single tank Pioneer only...explorer its for doubles and should not be used with a single...

I have a new 27# without the STA but I use the old straps with delrin clasp that does not come apart. I also have heard that the SS clasps that come apart are a problem.

I do like not using and STA and even with a heavy 104 there is no problem getting a tight lockup without it.

How easy is it to swap the tank straps to the traditional loop style with cam buckles.

Originally posted by Bill Walton
How easy is it to swap the tank straps to the traditional loop style with cam buckles.
Very easy... just a matter of rethreading the strap through the cam buckle...

But not swapping the buckles using the same strap.

That takes away a majority of the fear I had about the pioneer wing. Being able to use the traditional cam straps makes me feel much more secure in the very, very unlikely event that both tank strap buckles failed at the same time. Silly fear I know.

Originally posted by Bill Walton
That takes away a majority of the fear I had about the pioneer wing. Being able to use the traditional cam straps makes me feel much more secure in the very, very unlikely event that both tank strap buckles failed at the same time. Silly fear I know.
Had a gal out diving yesterday using a FredT heavy duty STA and the lower wing nut came off.... that was interesting. The day before it was the upper wing nut and that was even more interesting as the regulator wanted to come out of her mouth. I wasn't there for that one but it sounded very exciting.

Moral of the story... anything that comes loose UW is not a good thing.... and even an STA can come undone....

Scuze me while I go out and check my doubles....

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
I also have heard that the SS clasps that come apart are a problem.

hmm.. does anyone have any detailed info please ? I got the SS ones, and havent had any problems with them..... and I hope I wont have any

Originally posted by Blargh
hmm.. does anyone have any detailed info please ? I got the SS ones, and havent had any problems with them..... and I hope I wont have any
If it hasn't been a problem it won't be a problem...
Some folks don't like the way everything flops around while changing tanks with the cam bands that come apart when the buckle is disconnected. You obviously have the technique.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

If it hasn't been a problem it won't be a problem...
Some folks don't like the way everything flops around while changing tanks with the cam bands that come apart when the buckle is disconnected. You obviously have the technique.

Hmm....? Are we talking flopping around with the cam bands on the tank or off it ?

Flopping around when the tank is off is normal, not any greater than an average jacket would (imho) and not a problem. Getting the cam bands correctly setup in the first place is the key.

Flopping around with the tank ON should not happen and can be fixed with adjusting the cam bands properly in the first place.

PS: Mine doesnt flop either way, thanks to my weighted STA :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom