Halcyon files for "DIR" Registered Trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"John, see, herein lies the problem. Not that I agree or disagree with IANTD (they're my agency of choice), but this sets the precedence of bastardization of DIR to any relatively authoritative agency. You have to mediate the argument dispassionately. IANTD has a definition that you find favorable, and adopt it in the name of DIR, and it simply isn't (by the convetional definition). And IMHO, that's the reason JJ is seeking to trademark.

DIR will be meaningless if it means whatever anyone wants it to." - Custer

Custer, posting that link was very clever and how perfect it was that someone took the bait so quickly! It makes your point VERY clear...even more so since there are probably some folks here that might now believe that Tom Mount defines DIR. Air2...DIR! Right!

Sorry, John. I think that much of what you suggest is spot on but if you look into it a little you will see that Mount defining DIR is like PETA sponsoring a BASS tournament! I didn't mean to pick on ya...but it was too perfect an example to pass up.

Yep, someone needs to protect what is and isn''t DIR but I still would have preferred to see GUE trademark DIR instead of Halcyon.

SA

scywin once bubbled...
I think a lot of divers feel this way. I am going with what works for me. That may mean gear from any manufacturer, . . .uh, who isn't French!

Huh? Is this a joke I just don't get?

And I agree with it. I didn't word that very well. I wasn't trying to say the Air2 is DIR, it's definitely not. . .and I care not a whit, because I don't need a label, DIR or otherwise. Remember, I support Halcyon's decision to trademark DIR. You'll see from my earlier posts that I'm defending that. I think it's fine and am not at all threatened by it.

What I was saying about the Air2 (and the other stuff I mentioned in that post) is that the DIR folks have positively impacted diving, IMO, because they have stimulated a lot of thinking by folks who will likely never take any of their courses (like me--I'd like to, but in reality, I probably won't) to re-evaluate some of their practices.

I'm definitely not DIR by their definition. I'm not trying to argue that the Air2, as one example should be considered DIR, I really don't care. My only point was that the DIR debate got me to thinking and moved me to put a long hose on my primary, practice donating that primary, and got me to take the octo out of my jacket BC pocket and get it in the open where I can deploy it without thinking. Frankly, I couldn't care less what JJ or GI3 or anyone else thinks about my Air2. . .but I'm very grateful for the thinking they stimulated in my mind about my dive configuration. I suspect they'd be happy I got the long hose, decided emergency drills should be frequently practiced and got the octo out of my pocket, and as a clear and warm water rec only diver to date, they'd probably not be apoplectic over my use of the Air2, although they'd likely prefer I go all the way.

I thought the IANDT article was good because it set forth some basic principles that DIR sort of aims at. Anyway, the DIR folks have done great things for diving, I believe, and I'm all for Halcyon trademarking the term, and JJ keeping it "pure" from any and all folks who might taint it by sticking the label on an Air2--heaven forfend! I don't covet the DIR label and I don't have a dog in the fight. But I really appreciate the DIR folks' ideas and wish others could, too, and stop being so paranoid about them.

Anyway, just wanted to say I have no desire to dilute the DIR definition or turn it into an "anything goes" name. I just really liked that IANDT article. . .like I enjoyed the DIR Fundamentals book. I apologize if I muddied the waters a bit with my comment, it wasn't my intention at all.

All this "I'm DIR' and "You're a stroke" crap gets in the way of folks getting the benefit out of self-examination of one's diving, I'm afraid. That's too bad, it really is. This whole trademark thing setting the anti-DIR folks' teeth on edge is a good but silly example of this. What a mess.

I have previously made references on scubaboard to the fact that I am currently boycotting all French products, including scuba gear, cheese, and wine!

This particular post was poking a little fun at myself, since this is a peculiarity of mine that others might recognize as being somewhat self contradictory.

Fortunately, there is no requirement here for consistency! :)

scywin once bubbled...
I have previously made references on scubaboard to the fact that I am currently boycotting all French products, including scuba gear, cheese, and wine!

This particular post was poking a little fun at myself, since this is a peculiarity of mine that others might recognize as being somewhat self contradictory.

Boycotting french products?

Why?

scywin once bubbled...

Whew!!

JohnF

jonnythan once bubbled...

Why?

There is a very widespread boycott of French products going on right now, due to French obstructionism in the War on Terror. My understanding is that French imports are currently down about 25-30% and US tourists visiting France are way off too.

I was in the WTC when it was attacked, so I consider the War on Terror to be not merely an important political issue, but a very personal issue. (There is nothing more personal than someone trying to kill you with a Boeing jet!) I know first hand that we are at War, and "War on Terror" is not just a cute slogan.

I don't consider any individual French person to be an enemy, but the nation of France has decided to be unfriendly toward the US when it counts. I will be boycotting French goods for a long time.

JohnCollins once bubbled...
...I thought the IANDT article was good because it set forth some basic principles that DIR sort of aims at....

John, this article has nothing to do with "DIR". There are those that would say that Tom Mount represents everything that isn't DIR and that there is so much in this article that isn't DIR that it is laughable. Some would say that it is obvious that Mount has stolen and perverted the term DIR for his own gain. The fact that you have accepted it as an authentic description of DIR only makes Custer's point so wonderfully clear.

I'm probably not explaining this very well. Where's Roakey when you need 'em!

I do appreciate what you have said about self-examination.

SA

jonnythan once bubbled...

Why?

Because they're French, of course.

I'd rather give my money to Khaddafi.

He doesn't hate us as much.

Custer is back. Perhaps he can explain. He's much better with words than I.

SA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom