Halcyon band "bridge" height?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your backplate needs to be adjusted, maybe you used a singles wing on a set of doubles and bent the sides of the BP away from the tanks. Your measurements are dead on with what I have...

It's a new blem plate (bought off eBay, but still had the Extreme Exposure sticker), so I thought of that, but a couple of buddies measured their plates from the center of the channel to a level across the plate, and we all get 1 5/8":

Halcyon-spine-height.jpg

Anyway, thanks for all your help trying to diagnose this. I'll post if I have any revelations ... other than a 3 lb. hammer :)

Henrik

It's a new blem plate (bought off eBay, but still had the Extreme Exposure sticker), so I thought of that, but a couple of buddies measured their plates from the center of the channel to a level across the plate, and we all get 1 5/8":

Halcyon-spine-height.jpg

Anyway, thanks for all your help trying to diagnose this. I'll post if I have any revelations ... other than a 3 lb. hammer :)

Henrik

I get the same measurement there too, but the problem might be that your lacking the curved tips at the bottom of the plate.

DSC00743.jpg

Where the scratch is at is approximately where the curve starts, My 1-5/8" measurement was just to the left if the hole before the curve starts and 1-1/4" after the turn downs.

DSC00744.jpg

Henrik

My 3lb. hammers are locked in a floor-to-ceiling cube of tools, but I don't mind diggining one out for a worthy (theraputic) cause. I'll be back in town on 1/1/01, if you need to borrow one. That should be about the right time.

I get the same measurement there too, but the problem might be that your lacking the curved tips at the bottom of the plate.

Thanks for the idea. My plate does have the bent "ears", which is where the plate is the closest to the tanks. I'll tweak and make it work.

I wonder what the best way to "flatten" the plate a bit would be. Maybe reverse the singles wing inflation thing. Pretty sure I couldn't be sure to just flatten it 1/4".

Tweaking the V-weight is probably the better bet :)

My 3lb. hammers are locked in a floor-to-ceiling cube of tools, but I don't mind diggining one out for a worthy (theraputic) cause.

I have a 5 lb. sledge and a friend with a house that needs some gut renovation, so I'm set with sledge hammer therapy. Thanks though :wink:

Henrik

That's just barbaric, 3 pounder is much more precise, more graceful, and nimbler.

It's much easier to hit lightly with a big hammer than to swing hard with too small a tool.

Tobin

Now gentlemen - I may have been unclear, but my intentions for the sledge was therapeutic demolition - not plate or V-weight "adjustment" :wink: but thank you anyway :D

Tobin; if one happens to not have a complete metal workshop available, do you have any suggestions for how to gently flatten the bend in a plate while not going too far and preferably making sure the plate remains symmetrical around the "spine"? I was thinking bolts through thick plywood and then the plate. Then slowly crank the nuts down on the plate keeping track of # of revolutions.

Henrik

Now gentlemen - I may have been unclear, but my intentions for the sledge was therapeutic demolition - not plate or V-weight "adjustment" :wink: but thank you anyway :D

Tobin; if one happens to not have a complete metal workshop available, do you have any suggestions for how to gently flatten the bend in a plate while not going too far and preferably making sure the plate remains symmetrical around the "spine"? I was thinking bolts through thick plywood and then the plate. Then slowly crank the nuts down on the plate keeping track of # of revolutions.

Henrik

I'd probably jack up my truck and slowly let the wheel down on the plate, channel side up. If you are worried about going to far put a block of the desired height under the channel. The plate will bend until it hits the block. You can progressively make the block shorter.

Put something sacrificial 'tween the plate and the ground, like a piece of plywood, or you will bung up the edges.

Use your head too, don't get under the vehicle.

Tobin

Thanks for the tips Tobin - and I'll keep my head and myself out from under the truck :D

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom