Halcyon band "bridge" height?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking about a router, but didn't know you had one or how it would behave in lead. You're going to have to sacrifice something, and router bits come and go anyway. You COULD probably just beat it out with a 3lb. hammer. Do you have a router table?

I was thinking about a router, but didn't know you had one or how it would behave in lead. You're going to have to sacrifice something, and router bits come and go anyway. You COULD probably just beat it out with a 3lb. hammer. Do you have a router table?

I suspect that if I dial the RPM way down and go really slow, it'd probably work out ok. No router table though, so I'd have to make up a jig of sorts - 2x4 and a few scraps ought to do it. It'll be a winter post-holiday project though.

3 lb. hammer ... not at all my style :)

Henrik

I suspect that if I dial the RPM way down and go really slow, it'd probably work out ok. No router table though, so I'd have to make up a jig of sorts - 2x4 and a few scraps ought to do it. It'll be a winter post-holiday project though.

Henrik

High RPM, with a sharp, high rake wood bit, in a gummy material like lead is a bad idea.

Even if you have a variable speed router you can't slow it down enough.

Have you considered just placing soft weight pouches between the wing and the back plate?

Depending on the tank diameters and the geometry of the plate it's possible to get 6-8 lbs in between the cylinders.

It's easy to adjust, cheap (if you already own the soft weights) and you get to keep all your fingers. :wink:

Good luck,

Tobin

where exactly is the v-weight getting hung up?

the oversized hole to accomodate the nut on the bolt?
or the flat part part the rests on the flat of the bands?

Henrik

To each his own, but if you were the real anal type you'd make a new stainless form and recast the lead to fit perfectly behind the plate and wing :rofl3:

I found a lot of plans for a home-built CNC machine.............

High RPM, with a sharp, high rake wood bit, in a gummy material like lead is a bad idea.

Have you considered just placing soft weight pouches between the wing and the back plate?

Depending on the tank diameters and the geometry of the plate it's possible to get 6-8 lbs in between the cylinders.

Tobin

Thanks for the warning Tobin. If I were to try I'd make/use a solid jig and make several very shallow passes.

I've seen you give the soft weight advice elsewhere. I have one of the XS Scuba pouches, but it only holds 5-6 lbs, which is the same problem with the soft weight. I need 22 lbs to sink in my drysuit, so I'd like a bit more weight off the belt. But I'll keep the soft weights in mind. Thanks.

where exactly is the v-weight getting hung up?
the oversized hole to accomodate the nut on the bolt?
or the flat part part the rests on the flat of the bands?

To each his own, but if you were the real anal type you'd make a new stainless form and recast the lead to fit perfectly behind the plate and wing :rofl3:

The bolt and nuts pass freely on the V-wight and the V-weight sits firmly on the flats of the bands.

Recast ... hmmm :)

I should have mentioned the thickness of my V weight is 1-1/8" thick. You really shouldn't need to file, route, hack anything if your measurements are the same.

My V-weight is 1 1/16" at the top hole and 1 3/16" at the bottom hole. You're correct, everything should fit without messing with it. But there it is :)

To recap; As I can see it there are 3 things that interact here:

- V-weight height
- backplate bend
- tank band "bridge height"

It's a mystery I tell ya'

Thanks for all your help,

Henrik

My V-weight is 1 1/16" at the top hole and 1 3/16" at the bottom hole. You're correct, everything should fit without messing with it. But there it is :)

To recap; As I can see it there are 3 things that interact here:

- V-weight height
- backplate bend
- tank band "bridge height"

It's a mystery I tell ya'

Thanks for all your help,

Henrik

Do you have the same 3/4" of bolt showing as my picture when the plate is fully tightened down?

Do you have the same 3/4" of bolt showing as my picture when the plate is fully tightened down?

I'll measure tonight and post the numbers. I'll see if I can find the wingnuts - I'm using the DSS plastic ones currently.

Henrik

OK, I measured the bolt lengths:

- I measured from the flat of the tank band to the end of the bolt: 2 1/8"

- I can't find the wingnuts, but the distance from the plate installed without the wing to the end of the bolt is 3/4"

With the plate installed on top of the V-weight without the wing I have 1/8" - 1/4" between the tanks and the webbing/keepers.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom