Halcyon band "bridge" height?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anyone out there in SB land, with a set of 7.25" Halcyon bands, that could measure the height from the "bridge" connecting the 2 tanks to the top of the bands themselves? Like this:

Band-height.jpg

I have a set of AL80s with Highland bands, a Halcyon plate and 11 lbs Halcyon V-weight, and when assembled the bend in the plate "bottoms out" against the V-weight leaving the plate hovering above the tanks, even with wing installed;

ScubaBoard Gallery - Halcyon Plate Bend

My plate is a "blem" from Halcyon, so I thought maybe the bend was off, but 2 friends with similar plates confirmed that the bend on mine is ok. Same with the V-weight - same thickness as my buddy's.

I'm thinking that the plate should rest on the tanks to make the assembly stable, and the only other thing I can think of is that maybe Halcyon bands come further around the tank making the "bridge" sit deeper between the 2 tanks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Henrik

Will the weight fit IN the plate channel?

Will the weight fit IN the plate channel?

No, it's too thick to fit in there properly - bolts would need to be quite a bit longer and then of course dig into your back. Besides, the edges of the weight are curved/concave indicating (to me at least :)) it is meant to fit between the tanks and between plate and tanks.

Henrik

No, it's too thick to fit in there properly - bolts would need to be quite a bit longer and then of course dig into your back. Besides, the edges of the weight are curved/concave indicating (to me at least :)) it is meant to fit between the tanks and between plate and tanks.

Henrik

Oh, from the picture it almost looks like P-weight. A lot of things don't fit the way they're meant to.:(

Oh, from the picture it almost looks like P-weight. A lot of things don't fit the way they're meant to.:(

Well, I gotta be realistic: by using Highland bands, I'm technically mixing brands and can't blame Halcyon for any fit issues. Provided of course that the Halcyon bands are "deeper" than the Highlands as I suspect they may be.

Henrik

I quess it won't fit under the bands?

I quess it won't fit under the bands?

You mean on the "outside" of the tanks? Well, it'd fit, but I can't think of a way to secure it I would be comfortable with. Besides, I think it would throw off the balance of the rig with that much weight that far back behind me.

Henrik

I mean instead of on top of the "bridge", under the bridge in the same orientation so it is only slightly further from your back. It looks like there might be room. You could secure it with SS washers and nuts on the bolts.

Its not a problem with the bands which need to be fairly similar in order for the isolator threads to not over or under tighten. The solution is to cut the V-weight down - i.e. make the notches deeper so it sits lower down onto the bands when assembled.

From DIR EXPLORERS;
Quote: (Originally Posted by alexmzz)

"The simplest and easiest solution is to just file/grind the V weight until it fits flush.
I wouldn't recommend doing this with either a regular file or grinding disc. Both will clog up in seconds and be rendered useless.

You'll need to make sure you're using something appropriate for the softness of the lead, e.g. a Surform:"

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom