Hair Management?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, by the way, I find that two ponytails low and behind the head (like what's in style these days) work so well. Neither pony tail is too big to create problems with a smooth hood and they don't pull out when you take off your hood. Trouble free. Just need good bands that fit securely for your hairtype.

My hair is just past my shoulders though, so Spectre and some of you others probably need a more sophisticated way to manage your hair.

I looked at the Dee rags and they seem like they would slide off pretty easily as Spectre mentioned.

divemistress once bubbled...
how long is your hair? you do seem like a long-hair type :wink:, but it doesn't look long in your profile photos.....

Much shorter than it used to be. Yes, it's pulled back in all the pictures. I started cutting it [semi-annually] after getting really hammered and ending up stuck on the couch for a half hour before I realized rolling onto the floor would solve the "sitting on my hair" issue. Before that point I had taken off about a foot a couple years previously [due to a slight spray foam insulation incident when putting in a new basement door]. Before that... July of '95.

It's now... hmm... I don't know... pulled down over my face it's about 8 inches past my chin.

I'm due to take off another 6 inches or so... so I can start wearing it down again without it falling into my face all the time.

I have hair down to my waist and I had loads of trouble getting stuck to everything - in particular my mask.
I remember doing the full mask removal for my open water course and not being able to get the mask back on because it was completely entangled in my hair at the back of my head – it wasn’t going anywhere!

My instructor advised me to swap my normal mask strap for a neoprene one that fastens with velcro – it works much better because it doesn’t have loads of little plastic bits to get entangled in.

Wow! What a thread!
I too am of the long-haired variety and have gone from having a scruffy knot thing on top of my head to having the low back pony-tail mode, both of which prove frustrating.
Think I will definitely try the low bunches mode on my next trip. Will let you know the outcome.
By the way, does anyone know of a conditioner that would be environmentally friendly?
=-)

Wow....I was comming on here to give a tip about womens hair and looks like I ran into the middle of a little argument.

Anyway....one of my dive buddies either baraids her hair and sticks it in the back of the wetsuit so it doesn't move around or some undone, or uses a swim cap. You don't get hot with it I guess and it doesn't look retarded lol.

LOL... I first thought this was going to be a question in the same lines as the thread "how do I get dressed after a dive" --- this time something like: "how do I fix my hair after a dive without having a bathroom and a hair dryer around?" :eek:ut:

Phew... your question isn't THAT "dumb"... :wink:

Re. the suggestion of PaulB: That's what I did too, when I still had long hair and was doing my first diving course: make a pony tail and stick it into your wetsuit... :) it works!

It doesn't feel comfy while you're not in the water yet, so I'd suggest jumping into the water real soon so you won't feel it anymore!

Have fun,
Watersprite

ps. who cares it looks retarded? Are you diving to check out your buddy or what? :wink:

ps. who cares it looks retarded? Are you diving to check out your buddy or what?

Once or twice :D

Hey we wouldn't be human if we didn't check out our buddies. I have long hair and I put it in a single pony down the back of my wetsuit and tuck it in. Works for me. And lets face it, diving isn't a very attractive sport anyway. :(

At times it is! Lot of women around in the hot sun. In skin tight wetsuits. Soaking wet. :D:D:D

watersprite once bubbled...
make a pony tail and stick it into your wetsuit...

Never quite worked for me. Every time I turned my head it would tug out a little more. By the end of the dive there woudl be a rats nest that made me consider going with dreads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom