Had my new black diamond BC out for the first time today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like the others said drop the belt, use the intergrated and add to the trim pouches. I have a raider which is like the ranger with options. I use about 2/3 rds in the pouches and 1/3 rd in the trim pouches in back. On the surface don't fully inflate and lean back.

Also if your using 16-20 lbs in freshwater and a 3 mil you need to learn to relax in the water, your breathing way to heavy if you need that kind of weight. Try relaxing on water for a few mins to get your breathing under control then make your dive.

Fyi I used to dive with 6-8 lbs fresh water, 3 mil with my seaquest raider. I went to a ss plate and wings, alum 80 and dive with 0 to 2 lbs max. w/my steel tanks I'm heavy in fresh water but in salt I add 2 lbs w/ belt and I position my weight in the small of my back. I spent $750 on my raider 8 yrs ago. I bought my plate/wings and harness for $300 after two years of diving with my raider and havn't gone back to it yet. And no, before you ask I'm not into tech or dir diving.

befor I added more weight, I had my BC empty, got down to the bottom, about 4 feet of water, completely exhaled, and floated up. I do spend a bit of time at the surface befor starting the dive. I feel comfortable? I'm sure I'm not at the optimum breathing?
With my old BC, I used 16 pounds and was able to maintain neutral fairly well, I could swim 2 feet off the bottom without bouncing off, I had some problems initially with using the bc air for an elevator, but now have gotten away from that and feel really comfortable while diving. I'm a fairly large person, 6'2', 250 lbs. Would that affect my weight needs?

...in addition, you might have the option of adding a crotch-strap.....I added one to my 1st-BC, a recreational unit/ Zeagle Ranger (which I still have)...the crotch strap translates the lift of your wing into 'real' lift......so more of the bouyant 'force' is working to lift you vertically instead of pushing you face-forward...so you won't have to inflate the aircell so much at the surface to achieve the same height of your head above water.

...the diving a steel tank may not be very helpful...in theory it would help, but in practice on dive trips you are most likely to be using AL 80's, so I'd configure your trim with that in mind.

Well, had the BC out for the second excursion. Put 16# in the ditchable, and 4 in the trim pockets. Oh that worked so well. Only thing I'm going to change is I'm gonna go to 12# in ditchable and 8 in the trim next time. But as far as weighting? It was perfect. It was a shore dive, walked out, dove under and never added any air to the BC. Spent the entire 1/2 hour to 45 minutes without ever touching my inflator. Of course we didnt go any further than 20' deep. It was an excellent dive. Dove with an experienced diver too, learned a few things on navigation.
Thanks for the input on my OP.

You've been given some good advise and it appears you are taking advantage of it.

I hope the experienced diver you went out with will turn out to be a mentor to you.

Maybe someone you dive with will lend you a steel tank to try. I dropped six pounds of weight going from a alum 80 to a steel 100. I use a Balance bcd, similar to your Black
Diamond, and the 60/40 split on weights is spot on for me.

Keep diving and keep asking questions.-Brishar

The diver must do a weight check before every dive; try using steel tanks -like 'spectrum' suggested- to adjust/distribute weight; use the 'non-releasable' weights in the back of the Black Diamond and put 4 lbs. and 5 lbs. or more- and do sinking tests with both; and of course, use the releasable pockets as well; read the BC's instructions to see how to fill/distribute weight in the Black Diamond's weight pouches; forget about the weight belt; it is a habit change in your diving skills, but the BC is already built that way; just adapt; if possible, practice in a swimming pool how to release the weights from the BC for emergency preparation; or do it on a place where you won't damage the surface, like on sand or grass; there's a technique for releasing the Black Diamond's weight pockets; look it up; I'm not prepared to tell you about it, but it involves grabbing the weight pocket's handles, pulling out the weight pouches and stretching your arms like in a Jesus Christ position, looking down to avoid dropping the weight pouches on divers which may be deeper below, and letting the weight pouches go; wear the Black Diamond at home until you get used to it; and practice where everything is; it's your gear, and it's what keeps you alive down there; learn to use it blindly; know exactly where the knives, and the pockets' zippers are -and which way they open; hopefully all your diver are always safe, but it there's an emergency, and you have to help someone, stay calm, and make confident decisions knowing the gear you are carrying and how to find/use it .

Do forget about the weight belt; the Black Diamond is already built for the diver to adjust to the 'releasable-weight pouches' system; it also has pockets for non-releasable weight in the upper back sides; it will be a minor adjustment in your scuba skills, but you have to adapt to the Diamond's weight system; -and if possible use steel cylinders, like 'spectrum' suggested, to distribute weight more evenly. But using 16 pounds sounds like it may be a lot; it'll certainly sink you, but have you tried doing a sinking test with let's say, 10 pounds? Maybe you can carry less, which equals less drag; Just a suggestion; maybe you need that much weight, since the correct weight to add to a diver's gear varies depending in several factors. Important: practice Releasing the weight pouches often, until you are able to find the pouches handles without looking down for them; if possible, practice in a swimming pool, or on a surface that won't get damaged by these heavy objects when you drop them; there's a technique for releasing the pouches; look it up; there's free videos about it online; just be sure to learn from a reputable source. And most important, master your buoyancy! Know your body's dimensions with the whole gear on; so you know exactly what your size is when diving with the Black Diamond, which has a large wing.

Back
Top Bottom