Had my first student today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OW2 should be deeper than 2m. I don't think you can count that as a training dive.
How many or of your 30 or 50 logged dives were in 2m, if you don't mind me asking.

If you've actually been doing a training dive and actually been in 2m of water for OW2, you're basically being scammed by your instructor. The OW student is also being scammed when she being trained by another beginner. Would you want be trained by you?
Oh ok, thanks for letting me know.

Me? Probably like 3/4 at the start. Not 2m but I did the start in a 4m pool.

OW2 should be deeper than 2m. I don't think you can count that as a training dive.
How many or of your 30 or 50 logged dives were in 2m, if you don't mind me asking.

If you've actually been doing a training dive and actually been in 2m of water for OW2, you're basically being scammed by your instructor. The OW student is also being scammed when she being trained by another beginner. Would you want be trained by you?
Did OP mean OW2 = second dive of OW class => pool or confined water? Instructor did nothing wrong.

Or OW2 = second open water dive of OW class => dive in open water? Instructor might have done something wrong, or OP might just have been being sarcastic with the 2m comment.

You are jumping to conclusions without establishing facts first. Not say you are wrong, but might be polite to as clarifying questions first.

Minimum depth for the dive is 5m so you didn't even meet the basic standards to consider it a training dive. Not to mention, as a DMT, you should not have been allowed to conduct ANY part of that dive. Your instructor failed both of the students on this dive, you as the DMT and the OW student.

I am really trying to help you see the issues here but you seem to think it is ok to break standards as long as no one got hurt.

Off to bed now
I believe the first 2 dives of OW are allowed to be in a pool shallower than 5m.

Did OP mean OW2 = second dive of OW class => pool or confined water? Instructor did nothing wrong.

Or OW2 = second open water dive of OW class => dive in open water? Instructor might have done something wrong, or OP might just have been being sarcastic with the 2m comment.

You are jumping to conclusions without establishing facts first. Not say you are wrong, but might be polite to as clarifying questions first.
Exactly, it was the person's second ever dive.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
So, it appears we have one instructor, one DMT, and one OWC doing the second pool dive of an OW class in a 2m pool. The DMT is doing all the required items per the PADI except helping mange multiple students. The OWC was doing all the required items for pool dive 2. The only valid point of criticism appears to be the kneeling, which isn't explicitly against PADI standards, though it is no longer the way they appear to be teaching their instructors to do it.

There is a lot of judgmental-ism in this thread given the now exposed facts, none of which facts are inconsistent with the original post.

You are jumping to conclusions without establishing facts first.
He did clarify.
I took the student from the briefing and beginning of the dive to the end under supervision.

You don't understand the question. Pool training is not a dive as in OW2, OW2, etc.
OW is diving at an actual dive site.

Reactions: Zef
He did clarify.

You don't understand the question. Pool training is not a dive as in OW2, OW2, etc.
OW is diving at an actual dive site.
Your definition of the abbreviation OW2 is second dive in open water. His definition of the abbreviation OW2 is second dive of OW class. Both are reasonable. Convention on SB seems to be your definition, but he is new to SB. "Dive 2" only requires water "too deep to stand".

Given the abbreviation OW2 is not explicitly defined by PADI, it unreasonable to assume that a new poster would automatically know SB's (undocumented) convention for the abbreviation.

It's not my definition. Things have names in real life. Has nothing to to with SB.

Just curious, are you a dive instructor?
Where is OW2 defined?

No, I am not an instructor. However, I have a copy of the PADI Instructor Manual in front of me and am certified to read:
  • The dive labeled "Dive 2" in the manual (pg. 58) can be done in a pool.
  • Nowhere in the PADI Instructor Manual does the abbreviation OW2 occur.
  • OP has been on SB for 13 days, not near long enough to absorb abbreviation conventions that aren't actually documented anywhere (that I know of, I could be wrong).
Mod edit of some text.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The relevant PADI terminology here is Confined Water 1, 2, 3... versus Open Water 1, 2, 3...
Perhaps @JRK44 can clarify whether this was a Confined Water pool dive #2, or an Open Water dive #2.
Like many disputes that degenerate into angry words, the problem often starts with miscommunication. In this case, a DMT might be forgiven that. Some apologies might be in order, on all sides.
Let's all take a deep breath. If the OP chooses to clarify, maybe we can start over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom