Had my first student today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would it be dangerous when the instructor is right there and just lets the DM or DMT show a couple of skills, as long as the DM/DMT is showing them correctly? It's not that the DM or DMT is conducting the training.
It breaks standards, plain and simple. If the diver were to get injured or worse, now the DMT, in this case the OP, would be on the hook for the injury/death. The DMT should not be showing any skills to an OW student, full stop.

Showing the skills is conducting the training btw.

And this is my last post on this forum.
Take care all and safe diving.
Shame! Understandable, but a loss and unnecessary. I actually thoroughly enjoyed the enthusiasm in your first post. Don't get hung up on the standards discussion of others. But take away only what you think helps and/or raises your own awareness wherever helpful (and that can also be nowhere)

I don't really understand what happened.
Did she sink and drown due to incorrect weighting or squeezed to death by the drysuit?
I’ll let someone else answer that as I don’t have the time right now. But something to note: PADI changed its drysuit course standards as a result of this death.

It breaks standards, plain and simple. If the diver were to get injured or worse, now the DMT, in this case the OP, would be on the hook for the injury/death. The DMT should not be showing any skills to an OW student, full stop.
If I had a student and shown mask clearing skill 4 or 5 already by OW dive 2. Than I let the DMT also show the mask clearing skill while I'm right next to the both of them. That's what drives people nuts and get angry over a 'dangerous violation it training standards'? Really?

The DM or DMT is not alowed to conduct the training and in the example above the instructor still the one conducting the training.
I think some of you guys are going way overboard with this. Calling this dangerous seens a bit silly without knowing the full story.

Can you quote what it says in the standards exactly?

If I had a student and shown mask clearing skill 4 or 5 already by OW dive 2. Than I let the DMT also show the mask clearing skill while I'm right next to the both of them. That's what drives people nuts and get angry over a 'dangerous violation it training standards'? Really?

The DM or DMT is not alowed to conduct the training and in the example above the instructor still the one conducting the training.
I think some of you guys are going way overboard with this. Calling this dangerous seens a bit silly without knowing the full story.

Can you quote what it says in the standards exactly?
Yep, and some people even pushing that we're both lucky to have survived! 😂

The point is that the instructor is supposed to be IN PHYSICAL CONTROL. If the student bolts and embolizes AND the instructor (or a certified and INSURED, PROFESSIONAL) is not in control, there is going to be a big problem. The standards are set to protect instructors NOT, necessarily to ensure that students learn diving as best they can.

It is not about some trainee being able to control his buoyancy.

You're absolutely right. I can't be bothered.
I have better things to do than teach social skills to internet trolls.
Such a pity. You made so many friends here so fast I was hoping you’d share some of those people skills you learned in math class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom